Creating an engine (Library + EditorGUI)

Started by
3 comments, last by Norman Barrows 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi.

I recently set a goal to myself to make my own game engine, since there are problems with 2D Engines (In my opinion).

My question is how do I make the Map Editor GUI?
I want to make an intractable "tile-placement" GUI, which will on one side display the tile-set, and on a different side it will display the editor itself, which will be cut-down image of the map, one which you can place tiles by pressing on a cube on a grid.

How do I make this?

What should I do and if anyone can provide sample code for similar interactive GUI that would be appreciated.

(By what should I do I mean, what are the steps to make this).

Advertisement

basic algo:

while (! quit)

{

drawscreen();

process_input();

}

drawscreen:

draw_tileset()

draw_map()

draw_mouse()

process_input:

getmouse(&x,&y,&b)

if (b !=1) return

if isin(x,y,0,0,50,50) set_brush(0); // set current "brush" to the first tile in the set.

else if isin((x,y,0,51,50,100) set_brush(1); // set current "brush" to the second tile in the set.

else if isin(coordinates for right half of screen) place_tile(x,y)

draw_tileset:

this just draws a bunch of tile sprites on the left half of the screen. since you're building a 2d engine, i assume you can draw a sprite <g>.

draw_map:

this draws the map on the right half of the screen. code will be a modified version of the code used to draw a map in the game. it will only cover half the screen, and will use the editor's map as input, instead of the game's map. you may be able to share map related code and/or data structures between the game engine and the editor.

draw_mouse:

this just draws the mouse (if you have to do it yourself)

getmouse:

this simply returns the current state of the mouse: x and y screen position, and buttons (0=none, 1=L_button, 2= R_button. so process_input returns immediately, unless the left mouse button is pressed

isin:

this returns 1 if the point x,y is in the area specified (such as 0,0,50,50). otherwise it returns 0.

place_tile:

convert x,y screen coordinates to x,y map tile coordinates.

set map tile x,y to the current brush value.

you'll probably want to add some buttons for load, save, quit, etc, or perhaps press ESC for a popup menu with those features.

a slick improvement over a basic stand alone editing tool would be one that you could add into a game to edit the game map in real time. you'd have a small wrapper app that used the editor module to make a standalone tool, and you could also link the editor module into the game app to get an in-game editor.

this is what i did with my limb based modeling and animation module. at first, i was going to build it as a stand alone editor for CAVEMAN. But duplicate data structures etc meant it was easier to make it a built-in editor. Later, i needed the modeler for another title, so i put it in its own source file that i can link into any app.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Cross platform native UI Toolkits:

wxWidgets

QT

I would suggest wx, personal preference.

If you don't care about cross platform-ness go with a C# winforms app that uses pInvoke to communicate with your engine.

Can i ask something?

I'm developing a very simple 2D game. But i dont' get what a game engine really do? And one more question, what is the best languaje to do this? and for make a GUI? at the moment i'm using openGL + SDL, in C++. Can i do this kind of things with JAVA? what libraries should i use?

Thanks!

But i dont' get what a game engine really do?

a game engine is a collection of library routines, game components, and framework parts usually geared towards making a specific type of game.

imagine building a game (such as a 2d side scroller), then changing the game so it could use any type of content to build any game of that type (any type of 2d side scroller). the result would be a game engine (2d side scroller engine).

the best language is any language that runs fast enough, can be used with the target platform, and has the lowest costs in terms of learning and development time for YOU.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement