Need help with advertising...

Started by
4 comments, last by mmakrzem 10 years, 8 months ago

Hello everyone!

I'm working with my brother on a new game, and we are gonna release a game development blog this week.

Thing is, I was wondering: where would be a good place to start advertising the blog so we can get some traffic? I know there is an announcement sub-forum in here, and will definitively use it. But it would be great to get some advise from more knowledgeable people :).

Thank you!

Advertisement

where would be a good place to start advertising the blog

Hi Bzync,

I moved your post to Business because you're asking about marketing (an important business matter). I'm not in marketing myself, so I don't have any thoughts about where you could try marketing your blog. Hopefully, some of the folks who frequent the Business forum will have some ideas for you.

Good luck.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ideas:

- Add the links in your signature

- Tweet about it on Twitter

- Add awesome content to your blog about your game

Without the last one, all the views in the world won't do any good.

Also, understand that it takes alot of time to get serious traffic. You probably won't get 10k/month hits overnight. sad.png

Talk about it into friends, let some of them try it (and possibly also buy it). They will spread the info about the game further...

If you've got a bit of money, you can also try investing in some kind of ads into games magazine, etc.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

hmmm...

Developer's Journal (here), and Devlogs on TIGSource would net you the advantage of an established user base. Could even hook them from there, and then tell them that, after say 3-4 posts, the rest will be exclusively on your own external blog.

However, if you insist on having your own Blog, you'll need to leverage social media in some way.

I recommend making a Facebook page of your game and posting the URL of your new blogs. It will get broadcasted to the people you know, and you never know when any of them might share the blog (or even read it). Your potential exposure can really increase.

Whatever you do, timing is of the essence.

If you get 100 readers, but each 3 days apart, nothing will really happen.

If you get 35 readers in one day, you might actually have a better chance of building up on this.

More importantly, if you can get even just 1 comment in the first few days, your chances will be even higher.

Try to build your blog in a way where users feel compelled to say/ask something. Don't just say 'opinions?'

If you need to, say something you know someone will just have to react to. Describe a difficult design decision you've made (you just know someone will disagree with your decision). This way, you won't actually need to go in-depth in the actual post, and people will feel compelled to ask for more (why did you do THAT?) and you'll both get some action going in the replies section, along with a chance to add more 'content' to your blog, without being taxed of having made a first post that was too long.

Thus, people that have a limited attention span will feel your initial post is the right length, while people that are interested (or want to claim your decision is a bad one) will read on, and offer you a chance to write more, specifically targeted at them as an audience group.

Good luck!

Also create some YouTube videos to get people looking at your stuff that way too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement