Writing to Texture in Compute Shader

Started by
2 comments, last by CastorX1904 10 years, 8 months ago

Hello everyone.
I try to make a deferred renderer in D3D11 with FEATURE_SET 10.0 (or max 10.1). I thought that I won't implement my deferred combine shader and SSAO shader in a pixelshader but using ComputeShader (no need to draw a quad, shared memory, and so on). But I've just found out that there is no way to bind a texture as an output of the compile shader when using CS_4_0 profile. Is that right? No texture output support? (RWTexture2D and there is no support for UAV to write to textures). My plan was to use the input textures (world space normals, diffuse, depth, etc.) compute the lighting stuff and output it into a texture that can be later used to draw it onto a screen quad and show it on the screen. Any expecrience or useful advice?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

That's right - in feature level 11_0 and up you can indeed have a UAV for a texture, but in the 10_0 and 10_1 feature levels that isn't supported. Is there a solid reason that you can't expect an 11_0 or better graphics card, or is it just your intended target hardware level?

CS_4_0 is borderline useless, I'd recommend just sticking with a pixel shader if you're capped out at FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0.

Ok. Thanks. I've hoped that I've just missed something, but now it looks to me that one very important feature is simply missing from CS with feature set 10. I will continue my work with a pixel shader. Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement