Introduction and some advice! :D

Started by
3 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 10 years, 7 months ago

Hello all smile.png? , I'm a 20 years old guy very interested in programming, I have done c, php, javascript, html5, css, php, some canvas, some action script 3 and flash that's the only game I have ever done (I have attach it but,I made it following a tutorial, stealing the spirites from the first result of google and first of all very very simple, not good xd) (haven't really used classes and private and public functions yet :( )

Well, the thing is that I've been trying to find tutorials and researching for the best programming language to start but everyone said something different, ones said to start with c++ (later I found people that said its a very bad start), others that said flash (others said its very old), c#, phyton, java...

In the position that I'm in right now in the university is that I have one year and a half to present my end of degree project (I want to make a game ,surely 2D, it doesn't need to be finished) and I don't know what language to use, with or without engine (like unity).

What are you'r recommendations? What programming language should I use? I should wait some months and do the subject of unity of my university and do the game with it? (we are going to do a game project using unity in 2D and javascript)

thanks for everything and I hope to have a grateful experience with this community.

PD: Sorry about my English, it's not my native language and I'm still learning I'm still learning it ^^

PDD: I would like to do the game without unity if possible (I know with all the teaching it'll be the easiest option but I want to learn more the basics and not learn only to use one program)

Advertisement

Just start with any programming language, the most important thing is that you start to code something and get some basic portfolio of actual products. I'm doing Java, which I feel is great for me. It's also the most popular programming language out there atm. Also, you seem to know a lot of languages, but do you know either of them any good? Stick with one main language and then branch out.

There's all kind of circumstances that would affect what language is the best to use, but with your background I would seriously look into maybe designing HTML5 games for starters. And by that same token, I would not recommend learning Flash. Once HTML5 has become fully standardized, you'll see a lot more use of that and Flash may be a poor investment of your time. HTML5 is, as I understand it, built so that people won't need third-parties like Flash to run their stuff. As a result, Flash would become much less relevant.

TLDR;

Based on what you already know, try learning advanced HTML5 and produce some browser games, for starters. Also check out sites like www.photonstorm.com for more information about HTML5 game design.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Just start with any programming language, the most important thing is that you start to code something and get some basic portfolio of actual products. I'm doing Java, which I feel is great for me. It's also the most popular programming language out there atm. Also, you seem to know a lot of languages, but do you know either of them any good? Stick with one main language and then branch out.

There's all kind of circumstances that would affect what language is the best to use, but with your background I would seriously look into maybe designing HTML5 games for starters. And by that same token, I would not recommend learning Flash. Once HTML5 has become fully standardized, you'll see a lot more use of that and Flash may be a poor investment of your time. HTML5 is, as I understand it, built so that people won't need third-parties like Flash to run their stuff. As a result, Flash would become much less relevant.

TLDR;

Based on what you already know, try learning advanced HTML5 and produce some browser games, for starters. Also check out sites like www.photonstorm.com for more information about HTML5 game design.

Thanks for you'r fast reply, do you recommend using canvas?

You could use the Canvas directly, but might I suggest instead use a Canvas drawing framework?

I've had some success in the past with KineticJS when building some plugins, http://kineticjs.com/.

Just a quick google search for "Html5 canvas game framework" yielded a few other interesting results:

http://impactjs.com/

http://www.createjs.com/#!/EaselJS

http://www.limejs.com/

Just to get you started. Do some research, look at their tutorials / documentation pages and find one that has an API that seems sensible to you.

Thanks for you'r fast reply, do you recommend using canvas?

I wouldn't be the best to recommend one or the other, as my reply was based on the industry around HTML5 and not the language specifically. I do know some HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript and it does seem like Canvas is the way to go (for game design), but that's all I know. neonic's answer looks interesting though.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement