Need Advice

Started by
7 comments, last by frob 10 years, 7 months ago

I want to make android games but as i have no programing background, i don't know which programing language to choose. i have just started learning python online at "codecademy.com". Should i quit python and start learning java. Or should i finish the python course and then start JAVA. Very confused. Can anyone please guide me step-by-step, like starting to learn x and then do this and that..something that will help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

You should get this SDK bundle, it has everything you need in the right place. Just unpack it and you can start coding.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

It consists of Eclipse iDE, the program you actually code in.

Android SDK, a package which contains help full code related to android to use in your projects.

ADT plugin for eclipse, this plugin "attaches" the SDK with eclipse for easy use.

You will also need the Java development kid from the official page.

Thanks menyo, but i did not get the answer to which language a beginner should chose.Should i quit python and start JAVA.

Java is the most practical choice for Android, but this doesn't mean you should quit learning Python; it can be very useful for many tasks.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Yeah sorry, eclipse is an IDE for java. Java is the most prominent language for writing android apps and games. The bundle i proposed has everything to get started with. Starting with java does not mean you "drop" python, you might use it for scripting and it will always come in handy to know multiple languages. Python is a very capable language, mostly used for it's scripting capabilities in big titles like eve online or civilization IV.

Java is the most practical choice for Android, but this doesn't mean you should quit learning Python; it can be very useful for many tasks.

Yeah sorry, eclipse is an IDE for java. Java is the most prominent language for writing android apps and games. The bundle i proposed has everything to get started with. Starting with java does not mean you "drop" python, you might use it for scripting and it will always come in handy to know multiple languages. Python is a very capable language, mostly used for it's scripting capabilities in big titles like eve online or civilization IV.

Thank you guys smile.png I will keep learning python.And will also start java. I will soon order JAVA books, but can you please provide some online tutorials site(without videos) that teaches JAVA..something similar to codecademy.com..

The official Java tutorial, which dates back from early Java versions and is continually updated, is quite good on most topics. http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ For API details you'll need the official Javadoc. http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/index.html

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Do NOT learn to program on Android, period.

Minimize the amount of stuff you are learning at once. First off, Eclipse is nearly a full time job, most over engineered IDE ever released and YOU WILL fight with it. On top of that, working in the emulator is a nightmare, and working on a different platform than the one you are developing on is a pain in the arse. Again, minimize the amount of stuff you are dealing with at once.

My recommendations...

If Android development is your end game, Java is easily your best choice in languages to learn. C++ is an option, but a complicated one. Of course, you can work in a cross platform language like Lua, Flash (ActionScript), JavaScript, etc... and still target Android. You will be working at a level of abstraction though.

Learn Java first, I'd start at the command line personally. Learn the basics of programming.

Next pick up an IDE. Eclipse as I said is really advanced ( or badly designed... matter of opinion there ). IntelliJ, Android Studio and NetBeans are all more accessible than Eclipse, but sadly, Eclipse is the most supported route for now.

Then pick a library. LibGDX is the no brainer choice for 2D, especially now that Slick is no longer supported.

Good luck.

Do NOT learn to program on Android, period.

Clarifying on that...

Learning to program on the PC is a large enough task.

After you have learned to program, then it is easier to begin the more difficult task of programming for mobile devices.

When a toddler is just learning to crawl you start them out on a flat surface, not scaling a cliff. Save the intermediate and advanced stuff until the beginning skills are mastered.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement