• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Waterlimon

Yiddish indentation

This topic is 2064 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

This is one of my favourites, mainly because it's totally possible to see someone coming out with it as a valid reason for justifying an annoying indentation style.

Oi, I'm Yiddish! No, I'm kidding, but surprisingly I don't find it too hard to read at all.

Only downside I see is that you have to know how many scopes you'll have inside a function before you start writing it. Or, you must re-indent the whole function all the time. That'd be a nightmare to use with a revision control system, which typically diffs and highlights all changed lines.

It does look funny. But let's look at it from the other point of view. I wonder how easy it is for people used to right-to-left writing to read and write source code in "established" style, which is left-to-right and as far as I encountered mainly English (language keywords, identifiers). Could someone using right-to-left languages please comment on that ?

(To take it further: Imagine a world where all programming languages are written in Kanji or something wink.png ) Edited by unbird

It does look funny. But let's look at it from the other point of view. I wonder how easy it is for people used to right-to-left writing to read and write source code in "established" style, which is left-to-right and as far as I encountered mainly English (language keywords, identifiers). Could someone using right-to-left languages please comment on that ?

(To take it further: Imagine a world where all programming languages are written in Kanji or something wink.png )

I'd be interested in the answer to that as well. Especially considering that some languages are adding unicode support, which means that suddenly there might be changes in direction because an identifier is in a right to left script (which can then also affect punctuation characters surrounding it!). Yikes.

I'd be interested in the answer to that as well. Especially considering that some languages are adding unicode support, which means that suddenly there might be changes in direction because an identifier is in a right to left script (which can then also affect punctuation characters surrounding it!). Yikes.

Yikes indeed: Multicultural programming

foreach(var ??? in ??????)

Preemptive apology. I just used Google translate, so I hope I did not Insult anybody's mother here

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!