Qt (Qt creator, designer etc.) IDE or Visual C++ Express IDE

Started by
13 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 4 months ago

Starting C++ programming recently with Visual C++. I want to create a game engine rolleyes.gif but that's not the point here. When debugging with vc++, it's in a DOS console and i want it to be a gui like it would be if using visual basic forms. I'm not sure if vc++ can do this but if it can, will i be able to edit all the elements and design like i want or will i have to create all the objects.

Will Qt (All of the qt's sdk) be a better choice because it has a forms designer and i think it'll be easier.dry.png

Can it be used to design something like the torque 3d gui.smile.png

What do you think. Is there an alternative?sad.png

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

Honnestly, between VS express and QtCreator, I choose QtCreator, even for non Qt projects :

1- uses GCC (or clang), have full C++11 features, which VS still lacks even in 2013 (full compliance will likely be on vs 2014-15)

2- Impressive intellisense, partial features of VAX like switching from .cpp/.h (but not as good as VAX)

3- Cross platform. I can work on my project at home or on my Ubuntu laptop

4- Well, it's Qt. You probably will need an editor. Qt now has QtQuick, a way to build GUI similar to WPF. It's more mobile oriented, but I think desktop components are coming.

I learned to program on Visual Studio 2010, it was great, but once I decided to really learn another IDE which was QtCreator I never went back. I now use QtCreator for everything even non Qt projects. Even game projects using just sfml or openGL. The editor is great and the syntax highlighting is awesome.

Learning the open source tools actually opens up your horizens instead of keeping you contained within the microsoft world.

I highly recommend learning all the open source tools related to programming.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

When you create a Qt project in VS i believe it automatically gets rid of the debug console - you have to create your own method of debugging - although Qt does have some debugging tools to help you built in to the framework without needing to use qt creator..

Personally I like VS much better than Qt IDE - I like the step through debugging tool in VS which easily tracks variables and variable values through the call stack... very very helpful - also integrating qt creator is very easy if you installed the vs addon given by Qt - you simply make the Ui file in creator and save it in your vs project directory - in vs right click and say compile the ui file and it automatically generates the necessary header files.. the qt documentation does a thorough job explainning it

Basically if you like qt IDE better then use it - but I much prefer VS

Starting C++ programming recently with Visual C++. I want to create a game engine but that's not the point here. When debugging with vc++, it's in a DOS console and i want it to be a gui like it would be if using visual basic forms. I'm not sure if vc++ can do this but if it can, will i be able to edit all the elements and design like i want or will i have to create all the objects.

This has little to do with VS or QtCreator and more with the type of project / projetc settings. Both VS and QtCreator can create programs that do not open the terminal window.

Both can create forms too, but they target different APIs.

You seem to lack basic knowledge about what an IDE actually is, and I suggest you get your hands dirty with either VS or QtCreator in order to get a better overview about how things work.

Will Qt (All of the qt's sdk) be a better choice because it has a forms designer and i think it'll be easier.

VisualStudio also has a form designer. Qt is multiplatform though, and IMO a much better API than the native Windows API (what isn't...).

Can it be used to design something like the torque 3d gui.

Sure! You can do that with notepad if you want. An IDE is just a tool to help the programmer by using several tricks like syntax highlighting, source code analysis and more. What your final executable is has no direct connection with what IDE you used to code your program.

What do you think. Is there an alternative?

There are alternatives out there, just ask google for "c++ IDE", however VS and QtCreator are known for being great tools, you'll just have to decide which one you prefer.

Hello,

First of all I just like to just say that I am usually the type of person to take a back seat and read forum posts rather than posting but I feel its my queue to step in here and give Nathan2222 a reality check. It is not in my intention to offend anyone here but from the posts I have read recently by Nathan, you need to wake up and smell the roses my friend.

I would like to point out that by you "recently started to learn c++" you actually mean since yesterday when you posted here and mentioned you have not yet written a single line of c++. You actually posted seeking advise on if it was possible to update the Torque source code to implement some features you needed for, and I quote "The Game" (which was to be an improvement to the 100,000's of man hours it has taken Rockstar and Ubisoft to create, GTA V and Watch Dogs).

Not only was this unrealistic for a solo project, you was offered some good advise, yet you ignored it and decided it would be easier to build your own game engine from scratch. You have now decided upon using a toolkit, which in my opinion, is primarily used with opengl yet you wanted to to build this for Windows and DirectX.

Have you ever thought about making a clone of an existing arcade game, Pong, Tetris, Pac Man or even Mario? Like I said I don't want this to feel like a personnel attack but your dreams will always be dreams if they are not realistic.

EDITED: You ended your last topic (yesterday) saying you will use an existing engine to get experience beforehand, and today started a topic saying your creating a game engine.

Good luck in which ever direction you go.

@mdias: You say i haven't used vs so i should use it to get a better understanding of and ide. Did you read my post? I said when debugging in vc++ it's in a DOS console. How would i know that if i haven't used vc++ which is part of vs. Again, i said i want it to be in a gui like in visual basic forms, how would i know that if i haven't use vs?

@Kirkkaf13: Did you read my last post in that thread. I said "development begins". Did you think i meant i'm creating the game now. Did you also read where i said i will definitely use a preexisting game engine. How would i make a better game if i don't start from the ground up cloning other games and making better ones huh.. Just to let you know, i did write more than a single line of code before posting, even way before joining this forummellow.png.

Unrealistic project, no problem. You say i ignored good advice but rather i read the advice but didn't take it and the part of building a game a game engine was an advice from another person.

Which part in this topic did i say i am making a game engine todayhuh.png, i said want not ammellow.png. Please don't assume, know.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Now i'ved finished replying, it seems qt creator is the better choice because it was used in the latest maya versions, lux render, daz studio, pencil 2d, the origin website etc.smile.png

And as for kirkkaf13's part about qt being in opengl, it's open source and that is not really a problem nowangry.png and when it does matter there are tutorials for that.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

You say i haven't used vs so i should use it to get a better understanding of and ide.

Uh, no I didn't. I said you should get your hands dirty with it, or QtCreator (as in, spending a couple of days or weeks with either or both).

it seems qt creator is the better choice because it was used in the latest maya versions, lux render, daz studio, pencil 2d, the origin website etc.

This proves that you don't really know what an IDE is. Basing your choice on that is not really good for you. Try to have your own opinion about which you prefer. You can achieve the same thing in any IDE, and even change the IDE you use at a later time if you want. The important part of your project are your .cpp and .h files, which can be written in any text editor.

Sooner or later, knowing what an IDE is versus it's toolchain will be important, so you should go learn more about them. Who knows, maybe you'll come back wanting to use CMake... You still have much to do before CMake is of any real use to you though, but knowing what it is can help you understand the rest...

@mdias: Every part of my project is important to me and that includes the gui, not just the .h and .cpp files, every part. The GUI thing is the main thing that made me go searching and i found qt.

As for cmake, i will eventually use it with qt creator.

I hope you are not confusing VS with VC++ because i ain't buying VS, not when i've found qt.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement