Question about Blender and Gimp

Started by
27 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years, 3 months ago

Without prior knowledge of 2D/3D there's little hope of adapting what you see on one program to another. You should have the basic knowledge on the topic and one of the software to be able to follow tutorials on another program.

IMO when you can't afford Photoshop and Maya (which are totally unreasonably priced for individual learning outside schools that offer student licences) you shouldn't really pay for courses like that either. I wouldn't trust the reviews they have posted there blindfolded. "I got employed by EA" "I made an XBOX 360 game". It is misleading to imply that buying something for 49$ is going to yield you such results. It takes huge amount of time to learn how video games work, how you make them and how you make individual assets for them. Whether you pay 49$ or not doesn't matter, it just takes patience and dedication.

It doesn't matter much which software you use for learning. The free alternatives won't bottleneck the process, these days internet is full of resources to learn the exact thing you want to, for free. Unless you aim to get employed by the giant companies in the field you don't ever have to use Photoshop or Maya to make great games.

So what are you into most? Modeling, textures, game development? You can literally go to YouTube and search "my first 3d character" or "my first blender game" tutorial and get results in hours. That will build you a foundation you can use to build up your knowledge and refine your skills as you go.

I am aware of this. I have read all of the posts and articles that serve to deter the weak willed. To be honest, none of that matters to me. I'm not trying to magically become an expert programmer, modeler, ect., nor do I believe spending money will lead me to that outcome. The reviews aren't the reason I want to buy it; I didn't even look at them (I used Google to find information). I want to buy it because it includes a structured course for different subjects at an affordable price. I do believe that through studying, experience, and trial and error, I will steadily get better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you; the internet is full of useful resources, and I will use them when I need them. For example, I have decided to use Unity, which means I have to learn C#. I've already found a lot of helpful tutorials for both which I plan on watching/reading. I would still use them even if the Game Institute package offered lessons in C# (I believe it does have a couple for Unity). For $49.99, I like the amount of content you get.

As for what I'm into? I am actually interested in everything, partially because I do find it all interesting, and partially because I have no team to rely on at the moment. Either way, learning it now will only bring me closer to fulfilling my ambitions. I am currently unemployed and don't have to worry about rent, so I have time.

Advertisement
I'm not trying to magically become an expert programmer, modeler, ect., nor do I believe spending money will lead me to that outcome. The reviews aren't the reason I want to buy it; I didn't even look at them (I used Google to find information).

Aye, sorry I didn't mean to imply that. I'm just very disappointed in how these things are marketed.

Internet is pretty abundant on impatient beginners that think they can just start making their dream game straight up but it does look like you got the right spirit, willing to take the time and money if necessary first to learn about game development.

I want to buy it because it includes a structured course for different subjects at an affordable price. I do believe that through studying, experience, and trial and error, I will steadily get better.

It's true, I bet there's a lot of relevant info packed tightly together. But still it doesn't really begin covering the whole scope of workflow that people use to make different kinds of games. From subtext I read it is for pretty professional 3D games that usually have a budget and team. I'm just worried this information while useful to know in general won't give you the best overview on game development even for the buck.

For example, I have decided to use Unity, which means I have to learn C#. I've already found a lot of helpful tutorials for both which I plan on watching/reading. I would still use them even if the Game Institute package offered lessons in C# (I believe it does have a couple for Unity).

That's the right attitude. As long as you check the free resources first you're of course encouraged to invest in something that isn't covered by them. :)

For $49.99, I like the amount of content you get.

True, but let's keep in mind this includes pretty specific workflows inside expensive professional software. But not knowing the course I can't say whether it provides you with the basic set of knowledge over creation pipeline or whether it relies and making those "wow" models and textures inside them to try to lure in some specific people in that field.

As for what I'm into? I am actually interested in everything, partially because I do find it all interesting, and partially because I have no team to rely on at the moment. Either way, learning it now will only bring me closer to fulfilling my ambitions. I am currently unemployed and don't have to worry about rent, so I have time.

You're in a pretty ideal situation :)

I want to push you into learning by doing something now while you still consider if you really want to buy some course. I think the course could benefit you greatly if you first grasp the overall concepts of game development and the tools and still see the course takes you to the direction you want to go.

But I also understand if you want to invest a small amount of money like that into it so you get that "kickstart" feeling and keep yourself motivated.

I'm not trying to magically become an expert programmer, modeler, ect., nor do I believe spending money will lead me to that outcome. The reviews aren't the reason I want to buy it; I didn't even look at them (I used Google to find information).

Aye, sorry I didn't mean to imply that. I'm just very disappointed in how these things are marketed.

Internet is pretty abundant on impatient beginners that think they can just start making their dream game straight up but it does look like you got the right spirit, willing to take the time and money if necessary first to learn about game development.

I want to buy it because it includes a structured course for different subjects at an affordable price. I do believe that through studying, experience, and trial and error, I will steadily get better.

It's true, I bet there's a lot of relevant info packed tightly together. But still it doesn't really begin covering the whole scope of workflow that people use to make different kinds of games. From subtext I read it is for pretty professional 3D games that usually have a budget and team. I'm just worried this information while useful to know in general won't give you the best overview on game development even for the buck.

For example, I have decided to use Unity, which means I have to learn C#. I've already found a lot of helpful tutorials for both which I plan on watching/reading. I would still use them even if the Game Institute package offered lessons in C# (I believe it does have a couple for Unity).

That's the right attitude. As long as you check the free resources first you're of course encouraged to invest in something that isn't covered by them. smile.png

For $49.99, I like the amount of content you get.

True, but let's keep in mind this includes pretty specific workflows inside expensive professional software. But not knowing the course I can't say whether it provides you with the basic set of knowledge over creation pipeline or whether it relies and making those "wow" models and textures inside them to try to lure in some specific people in that field.

You're in a pretty ideal situation smile.png

I want to push you into learning by doing something now while you still consider if you really want to buy some course. I think the course could benefit you greatly if you first grasp the overall concepts of game development and the tools and still see the course takes you to the direction you want to go.

But I also understand if you want to invest a small amount of money like that into it so you get that "kickstart" feeling and keep yourself motivated.

It's no problem. The amount of beginners thinking they'll make an AAA quality game on their first try isn't even funny.

Somebody actually ended up giving me $50 for the holidays, so I pretty much got it for free smile.png

Honestly, I don't think developing a quality game is as difficult as people make it out to be. Yes, it's hard and takes work, not to mention skill, but with the access we have (for example, the Unity Asset Store), the development process is a good deal easier. But as I said, you still need skill (and money). For somebody like me, who will probably have to work as a one-man team, something like the Asset Store will be extremely useful.

I wasn't sure if I should make this here or in the 'For Beginners' forum. Basically, I'm planning on purchasing the Game Institute package, but there's one problem: they use 3ds Max and Photoshop in their tutorials for the 'Game Art and Animation' lessons. I can't afford one of those, let alone both. I asked a representative and he said it's possible to follow along with different programs, but difficult. So my question for you guys is: can I follow their tutorials using Blender and Gimp? I know I can look up tutorials for both online, but I don't want to pay for the lessons and not take advantage of them.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.gameinstitute.com/game-development/game-design.php

Thanks in advance.

So buy a service that provides you with all. I use digital tutors and they give you full access to well over 200+ forms of software. They have learning lessons for all areas and are fairly cheap considering what they offer. This is where I learned most of my animation skills and this was from me knowing NOTHING about maya. I am by no means a god at animation now but I can certainly hold my own with some of the industry vets. I have even used some of their advanced tutorials for learning some stuff I never imagined about photoshop and other tools I have been using for 10+ years.

Honestly, I don't think developing a quality game is as difficult as people make it out to be. Yes, it's hard and takes work, not to mention skill, but with the access we have (for example, the Unity Asset Store), the development process is a good deal easier. But as I said, you still need skill (and money). For somebody like me, who will probably have to work as a one-man team, something like the Asset Store will be extremely useful.

While you make some good points it is key to note that making a game using EXISTING engines is not hard. Unity is very robust and does most of the heavy lifting for you. Try making a game yourself from the ground up and you will find a much different story. Not that I would urge anybody to do that, just wanted to make what you were saying clear.

Well, since you want to learn Blender, have a limited budget and all the time in the world, why not run through my Blender tutorial series. It's long, covers just about everything you need to know from complete beginner to actually creating game ready art in Blender, oh, and it's completely free! :)

As to The GIMP... ugh. I try to like it, I even use it on occasion, but it is really horrible software. Things like placing text are an exercise in futility. If you want a paint program, Paint.NET gets you most of the way there... just wish it had better cloning tools... otherwise, if you have a tablet, I highly recommend you drop 10$ and pick up Photoshop.

While you make some good points it is key to note that making a game using EXISTING engines is not hard. Unity is very robust and does most of the heavy lifting for you. Try making a game yourself from the ground up and you will find a much different story. Not that I would urge anybody to do that, just wanted to make what you were saying clear

The thought of building an engine from scratch makes me cringe, but I do want to try it. Maybe in a couple of years when I have more experience.

Well, since you want to learn Blender, have a limited budget and all the time in the world, why not run through my Blender tutorial series. It's long, covers just about everything you need to know from complete beginner to actually creating game ready art in Blender, oh, and it's completely free!

Ah, thanks for that smile.png I'll be sure to check them out.

As to The GIMP... ugh. I try to like it, I even use it on occasion, but it is really horrible software. Things like placing text are an exercise in futility. If you want a paint program, Paint.NET gets you most of the way there... just wish it had better cloning tools... otherwise, if you have a tablet, I highly recommend you drop 10$ and pick up Photoshop

Don't you have to own one of their products to be eligible? I looked it up, and it seems I missed out on the deal for everybody sad.png Does using a tablet really make that big of a difference (with everything)? I've been looking at a Wacom tablet on Amazon, but I need to save up the money for it.

No, I literally mean a tablet, like iOS or Android. The mobile version is remarkable in it's power

My bad; I hadn't realized there was a mobile version. It's only $10? I was thinking about getting a tablet, so this is certainly something to look into. Is it easy to import/export back and forth between a tablet and computer?

My bad; I hadn't realized there was a mobile version. It's only $10? I was thinking about getting a tablet, so this is certainly something to look into. Is it easy to import/export back and forth between a tablet and computer?

Somewhat. If you use the free Creative Cloud service, its stupidly simple. Otherwise its a bit of a two step process.

Hi,

My only concern is that, though Blender and GIMP give professional results, you are going to have a good month or two of hard work in learning enough about these software to become effective in a workflow pipeline. By that time you will still be on fundamentals for the most part. You need to estimate if this will allow you to keep pace with all that you have in the course or not. Best case scenario, in my opinion, is that you will be scrambling with at least twice the workload to adapt Blender and GIMP to a course not designed for them.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement