The GIMP for Windows

Started by
13 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m having a real problem with the Windows version of the GIMP. I just downloaded the program yesterday, so I''m really new to it. Whenever I start playing around with filters, and even some simple stuff, a window pops up that says BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN SOON and doesn''t go away. What is the problem?
Advertisement
Heh, I haven''t seen that, I wish I had though . I''m not sure what that means, but remember that the GIMP port for windows is somewhat buggy. It has random crashes and memory leaks for me (that''s why I''ll use it in Linux, and not windows, heh). Maybe you should look around the GIMP for Windows webpage or email someone from there?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
The Gimp for Windows is a nasty piece of software. For one it uses non-standard controls (a Windows port of those horrible GTK controls, aren''t they?) that leave an awful lot to be desired. It has random crashes and memory leaks, more so than most people would blame Windows for. It does not associate itself with files properly, leaving file associations in an uncertain state. It is downright painful to use with all those separate windows.

I imagine the author is tucked away in their dark little corner somewhere having a good old chuckle about their funny warning message that is supposed to cover up for their buggy code.

But hey, it''s free. That''s the one thing it has in its favour.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
GTK isn''t so bad outside of Windows (the port is somewhat crappy). In many WM''s in XFree86 you can group the GIMP''s windows so that they all are treated as one (in Enlightenment, for example). They''re probably like that so you can put them on different desktops (if you''ve used almost any WM you''ll know what I mean). At least someone tried to port it to Windows, that''s better than not at all .

Time to install Red Hat, then. Bought it packaged with a book a while back and never used it. I''ve been lazily settling for ... (gasp) ... Windows ME.

But GIMP is opensource. Why hasn''t someone other than the guy who wrote the Windows version rewritten it to be more stable?

Now I know we must be scaring away someone who was thinking about using GIMP because he can''t afford Photoshop. I still say go ahead and try it. In the future, the Windows version may be very stable, especially with the harsh demand XP will bring along. For now, the other versions are much better. So do what I did and go buy a book on Red Hat Linux with the OS and GIMP included. You''ll have everything you need.
Truly, there are more good programs to drawing. PaintshopPro have a nice "evaluation" copy, i like this program (is even better that photoshop), and there are another good programs, i post some free 2d programs in the last month, you can check it.

Gimp = SUX!,also Linux = Sux!, also Opensource = sux!, if hard to find a finest code in opensource, only you can find a buggiest code.

Pixia and PhotoPlus was a good programs for free.

-eng3d.softhome.net-
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Hehe.. I think I ran into that error once, but nothing bad happened. I''ve had GIMP for a while and it has always worked great. I use it both on Win98 and Win2K... I''m not sure what your problem might be.

You might want to try the uninstall/re-install thing. Make sure both GIMP and GTK+ install correctly. Make sure you''re using good temp & swap folders.

GIMP rules.
Hey, I was thinking about trying out GIMP sence I''ve heard so much about it. So how does it compare to Photoshop in features, plugins, scripts(doesn''t Photoshop have scripts?), and layering.
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
Eng3d, what''s wrong with you? Blade Runner, you can download the GIMP and try it (since it''s free). The interface takes a while to get used to (it isn''t the standard ''Windows'' like interface), but it is pretty well designed. It does 95% of what Photoshop does, but it is missing a couple features (or maybe I just can''t find them).

quote:Original post by Null and Void
...it is missing a couple features (or maybe I just can''t find them).

No, it''s missing them. Most notable is CYMK output (and it''s not a priority for the GIMP-devel group).

I wanna work for Microsoft!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement