Free 2-D game engine for Python: SGE

Started by
14 comments, last by diligentcircle 10 years ago

The Stellar Game Engine ("SGE") is a free 2-D game engine for Python. It is designed to make game development easier and faster, and it accomplishes this by doing a number of things for you, including window resizing, split-screen, collision detection, delta timing, and more.

The SGE is free/libre software, released under the GNU Lesser General Public License. The documentation has been released to the public domain via CC0.

The SGE is currently in beta, meaning it's basically done, but hasn't been thoroughly tested. Please help me push it out of the beta phase by using it and reporting any bugs you find. smile.png

SGE homepage: http://stellarengine.nongnu.org

All comments are welcome. smile.png

Advertisement
Version 0.7.0 of the SGE is out, and it features some useful new features and important bugfixes: http://stellarengine.nongnu.org
Version 0.8.0 has been released. It features some important bugfixes, speed enhancements, and new features. Get it here: http://stellarengine.nongnu.org

Is this engine the same as this? If not this could lead to confusion. happy.png (I guess yes by the way because it seems really a lot like GameMaker.)

One hint is maybe to post the source on Github, this allows for easier collaboration and people can easily look through the code like they're used too. smile.png

The engine looks pretty good. I haven't done a lot with Python myself, but I liked GameMaker. GameMaker has, however, a lot of shortcomings. Some of them are speed and choice of language, this really looks like it's going to be an improved version. Nice!

"Alternative implementations using Pyglet and/or PySDL2 as a backend will be developed in the future"

I think it will be interesting. Also well would have a simple level editor.

Is this engine the same as this? If not this could lead to confusion. happy.png (I guess yes by the way because it seems really a lot like GameMaker.)

Yes, that's an old page related to it. The SGE started out as something for Stellar, but Emilio, the developer of Stellar, stopped developing it, so I've continued with the SGE as its own separate project.

One hint is maybe to post the source on Github, this allows for easier collaboration and people can easily look through the code like they're used too. smile.png

I used to develop it on GitHub (actually, the old repository still exists here), but I gradually moved to Savannah for philosophical reasons (Savannah is closer to me philosophically) and technical reasons (Savannah has more stuff than GitHub).

Looking through the code is really not much different with Savannah; just go here and you can see everything.

Also well would have a simple level editor.

Just to point out: I stopped writing a level editor a couple releases ago. It was too slow and unenjoyable for me, and I couldn't tell if it was even worth it (mostly because I wasn't planning on using it, and ENIGMA seems to be doing well these days). However, if someone wants to step up and make a level editor or even a full IDE, it would certainly be appreciated, and I would be glad to help with it.

I used to develop it on GitHub (actually, the old repository still exists here), but I gradually moved to Savannah for philosophical reasons (Savannah is closer to me philosophically) and technical reasons (Savannah has more stuff than GitHub).

Looking through the code is really not much different with Savannah; just go here and you can see everything.

Savannah looks older... huh.png (Probably my generation...)

But I wonder what you mean with more stuff than GitHub? GitHub allows for easy pull requests and a lot of other features.

Yes, that's an old page related to it. The SGE started out as something for Stellar, but Emilio, the developer of Stellar, stopped developing it, so I've continued with the SGE as its own separate project.

Maybe it would be better if he, or somebody else, changes that page? Especially since it comes up third on Google when you search for Stellar Game Engine. wink.png

But I wonder what you mean with more stuff than GitHub? GitHub allows for easy pull requests and a lot of other features.

Mostly the more advanced bug tracker, the web hosting, and the file hosting. I think GitHub has basically closed the gap now, but the main reason I use Savannah instead of GitHub is the philosophical one.

I would commit to both the Savannah repo and a GitHub repo if I thought it beneficial, but there were never many contributions even when GitHub was the main repo (and the few there were mostly just corrected small typos). Besides, the main thing I could use help with is testing (people putting the engine to use and reporting bugs), not development.

Maybe it would be better if he, or somebody else, changes that page? Especially since it comes up third on Google when you search for Stellar Game Engine. wink.png

Huh, that's odd. I guess I'll have to do something about that, then...

EDIT: That page now points to the SGE homepage. That should fix the problem.

Off-topic: My inhouse engine is also called SGE :D I CHALLANGE YOU TO A DUEL !!!

But do you say "sage" when you name yours? :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement