• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
buttnakedhippie

Newbie here!: Looking for good Game Dev sites/book to start with

This topic is 2066 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking to start out with small games that I could maybe end up publishing to the Play Store/App Store. I would REALLY appreciate any suggested starting points with reading materials, different software to try, anything!

I took a short Computer Programming class my senior year of high school, but it didn't focus on much, and it was only one semester. We first covered a bit of HTML, then Kudo, Alice, and lastly, and very briefly, JavaScript.

Advertisement

+1 to Unity - not only does it let you publish to iOS/Google Play, but also PC, OS X, Linux...you name it. 

Also, apart from C# and 'JavaScript' (it's really UnityScript), you can also use visual scripting tools like Playmaker to get around the code side of things and still make complete games.

Edited by gheeDough

Well, to be fair, I was thinking that mobile games would be an easier start and also just a way for me to publish games when I'm finished with them. That's what drives me to want to make them. If this really isn't the case (it being slightly easier) then I might as well start out with what I'm working towards, which is getting into the industry of game development.

If I was planning on familiarizing myself with Unity3D, where would I learn about object scripts, models, textures, and shaders? Since I'm not very knowledgeable about it, should I stick with a basic program for now?

I don't have any languages that interest me specifically, because I haven't spent much time studying up on them. I've seen a lot about c++ being used and I always figured I'd start with that one, but I've recently heard that a language called Python is something people are using now.

So, C++ is programming, while C# (also how would you say that? :p) is for scripting?

Thanks!

So, C++ is programming, while C# (also how would you say that? ) is for scripting?

It's pronounced "C Sharp" and it's a full blown programming language.

Ugh. This is what I'm talking about! I'm still at the very beginning and I just wish there was some sort of linear path to follow. I want to start at the trunk of the tree but I have to pick one of the branches and I don't know which one is best for me.

Is there a book or some sort of resource that goes over the general basics first, or would that probably not even be the route to go? Should I dedicate to learning a language first?

Is there a book or some sort of resource that goes over the general basics first, or would that probably not even be the route to go? Should I dedicate to learning a language first?

Choosing just one language at first is best.  Of the one's mentioned I'd probably recommend C# or Java as there's a lot of resources for learning programming that use these languages.  Python is another good language to start with.  Once you've mastered the basics of programming, it's easy to switch to another language if it suits your needs better.

Of the one's mentioned I'd probably recommend C# or Java

Are these the languages you've learned, if so, how did you go about learning them? Or could you recommend any resources?

Of the one's mentioned I'd probably recommend C# or Java

Are these the languages you've learned, if so, how did you go about learning them? Or could you recommend any resources?

I learnt C# from reading Microsoft's documentation.  I don't know Java that well.  I just picked up enough to put together a few Android apps.  I have been programming for around 30 years though, so it makes it pretty easy to learn a new language.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!