Need help with creating a Scripting engine?

Started by
13 comments, last by whimage13 22 years, 5 months ago
I am pretty need new to game programming. I am presently working on a 2d tile-based RPG, just as a start. I have the tile engine, basically finished but I just can''t get a good enough understanding of creating a scripting engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement
there are some tutorials on gamedev.net, and several others will pop up in a search engine...
what language are you using? i just finished(?) the scripting engine for my game, in visual basic... it isn''t fast, but it can handle some pretty complex scripts...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Maybe you can use an existing engine? Mozillas java-script engine (SpiderMonkey) is nice. http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/
I recently wrote a compiled psudo-assembly scripting engine that could run faster than VB code =).

Z.
______________"Evil is Loud"
I heartily recommend using Scheme. GUILE is a free (GPL, or maybe LGPL) implementation specifically designed for scripting. I think it''s available for Windows...

Signatures? We don''t need no steenking signatures!
CoV
I thank you for the suggestions. I using C to program this game and I am trying to stay away from hardcoding anything that I might have to change later.
I have looked at several possible scripting engines but most don''t have enough functionality. I haven''t looked into mozilla''s so at least there is another possible option. I''m looking at any that I could implement without to much of a headache, but than I can''t have everything can I.
The ideal, of course, would be swappable scripting engines, meaning a person could just drop a scripting engine that conformed to certain guidelines (even for a language that hasn''t yet been developed) into th application and script away in a familiar context.

It''s been done, but I''m too unconcerned to dig up the link.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
Microsoft provide a - you guessed it - Windows only swappable scripting engine called Windows Script. Plugging this engine into you app allows you to write scripts in VBScript, JScript, or any other Windows Script compatible language. Microsoft provide a free ActiveX control that wraps the engine, its easy to use, and can be quite powerful if you expose your application objects as ActiveX objects. You can even use the Microsoft''s script debugger to debug your scripts.

http://www.microsoft.com/scripting
I suspect you are just looking at it wrong. Perhaps it isn''t that they lack functionality you need as much as that you are going about it wrong. When the square peg doesn''t fit in the round hole then perhaps you should find a round peg or perhaps you should just stick the square peg in the square hole. I personally have trouble seeing how someone could make Blade of Darkness almost completely in Python, but you can''t move a camera using it. You are going to have to explain that one to me before I can understand it.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Perl can be embedded in C code - with enough blood, sweat and tears I imagine. Never tried it myself, but plan to at some point, because, well, I happen to like Perl.

Just another alternative to all the other suggestions.

--

MP3 Dancer

Get A Stripper on your desktop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement