Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Free game engine that is really well documented and has good tutorials?

Started by vanillastar Mar 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM 9 replies 5.6k views
Original Post
vanillastar
vanillastar

I know quite a lot about web development. I made some games in Flash (Actionscript 3.0) and web applications in PhP (object oriented), javascript, Ajax etc…

I always wanted to learn to use a game engine, preferably free without limitations. One thing that really put me off is that it’s seems to be really hard to find one with up to date tutorials that take you by the hand and end up with a small game. Sometimes I even had a hard time to install/compile them in the first place.

The shift is really hard for me. Flash is like a closed system, I don’t have to compile it first, I can do many things without requiring extern libraries or tools. It has support for input, sound, and an eventhandler, scene manager, built in tools for animations… It’s really an “all in one” tool that allows you to make fast progress. And there are quite a few tutorials that start with the absolute basics and end with a complete, small game.

Many, even often suggested, game engines seem to be quite different. Or they are just a graphic library. I guess that’s the price for more complexity and performance, but It’s confusing and frustrating for me. Can you suggest me a versatile Engine that has an up-to-date documentation and/or tutorials that will cover more than how to use some features of that engine?

Note: I'm using Windows

Nathan2222_old
Nathan2222_old
Engine: Unity.
Help & Tutorials: Unity forum, Internet, Youtube etc.
Platform Support: Mobile, PC, Web etc.
Supported "D's": 2D, 3D & 2.5D.
OS Supported: Windows, apple os etc.
Language Support: C#, [Javascript, Boo (or is it Unityscript].
Ease of Use: Said to be high.
Cost of Use: Free for 2d. Free for 3d (without some features). Paid. too
:)
UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy
ferrous
ferrous

If you love flash, maybe look at OpenFL?

That said, most of the biggies, like Unity and Unreal have pretty decent tutorial support, and forums and StackOverflow-esque question/answer sites. These big ones also have random people who post tutorials of their own. I followed a tower defense tutorial to get me started on Unity.

Are you looking to move to 3d or stay 2d? If the latter, you may want to look into something like GameMaker or Coco2d or one of the various HTML5 game engines.

Aidise0807
Aidise0807
Blender, it has a pretty decent game engine to work with. It's kept up to date, there are a lot of tutorials on the web for it, and it's quite to create game or even normal game for that matter in it. Hopefully I helped :).
Code_Grammer
Code_Grammer

When I think of good documentation, I think of commented and explained code, with complete examples, detailing simple as well as asoric aspects of the enginein such a way so as to pick up and program. That being said, I'm not sure there is such a thing. Just a lot of game engines with documentation ranging from decent to abysmal. Some better examples are Unity, Panda3d, and Irrlicht.

Blender, it has a pretty decent game engine to work with. It's kept up to date, there are a lot of tutorials on the web for it, and it's quite to create game or even normal game for that matter in it. Hopefully I helped smile.png.

Yeah, have fun with that one.

TheOrestes
TheOrestes
Unity & I must mention Cinder.. Both are easy to learn and get started ..
kaktusas2598
kaktusas2598
Ogre is 3d rendering engine, but what about it? You can still use other libraries for sound, input etc. I think its only better for you as u are getting better using more tools. I am no pro in engines, and I also look for engine myself :)
Deltron Zero and Automator.
KillerkoUK
KillerkoUK

I use Haaf's Game Engine (HGE) http://hge.relishgames.com/

Its a hardware accelerated 2d engine.

There are tutorials and docummentation on site as well as entire source code available on their website even tho the last version is from 2008 it is completely free even for commercial use (except the included BASS sound library, which is free only for noncommercial use)

ProtectedMode
ProtectedMode

I just want to note that some of the listed game engines listed here are very small and/or dying.

Mixing multiple libraries together is probably not a good start for a beginner. I would advice a relatively complete library like SFML (you can look it up) or an actively used game engine like Unity.

But I think your question really depends on what you want. I myself started with GameMaker, which is a lot like Flash, but I liked more low-level things and the fun of coding with C++. But I can also imagine you could like having an engine to do all work for you, or use large libraries. These things, together with what language you would like to learn and/or know, are very important when making a decision about this.

I think you're overthinking it. If you see a nice engine with a good-looking tutorial for an engine, you should just try it out. As long as you have fun working with it, I would choose it, you can always learn more and other languages later. Just try starting here, nobody will argue that Unity is a bad game engine. If you don't like it, just try out some of the other engines listed here, or anywhere else! "Make games, not engines" (or something like that) seems to be a pretty popular article. I think an article called "use engines, don't discuss them" should also be written. smile.png

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.