Path as an Artist in Game Development.

Started by
1 comment, last by menyo 10 years ago

Hello, I've been interested in creating graphics, for my whole life, but I never got a chance to do it. Although, I had a desire, I was not able to do anything because of my bad drawing skills ;)

2-3 months ago I came across Zbrush and 3D Modeling and I found it really interesting. I spent a lot of time learning the basics of 3D modeling and sculpting and decided to get a diploma in Game/Animation development, because I would love to see my future in that line of work.

What I wanted to know is what exactly should I focus on, I always wanted to be a part of great team and desing game animations or games itself. I've read of lot about it and I know which positions would be suitable for me: character designer, enviroment designer or level designer.

I don't really have any background in programming, but recently I picked up UE4 to see how it works and it seems to be fairly "easy" to learn, but the question is, is UE4 enough for Enviroment/Level designer or something else has to go along with it ? I assume that I would also have to create some models on my own to use in Enviroment/Level or another person is reponsible for that ?

When it goes to Character design, I used Zbrush and Maya so far.

I would be glad if someone could explain me what software I would have to use in each position and what are the responsibilities for each role.
Sorry, if I am asking for to much.

Thank you in advance
Jacob

Advertisement

Hi,

As a 3D and 2D graphics artist in the industry since late 2010, I will tell you what I know to answer your questions to the best of my ability. I have worked on a couple projects, so I have enough experience to give basic advise.

Hello, I've been interested in creating graphics, for my whole life, but I never got a chance to do it. Although, I had a desire, I was not able to do anything because of my bad drawing skills ;)

Drawing skills are often desired by a company, but I know some 2D and 3D artists who found a niche, doing well, and have no hand drawing skill - only using mouse and keyboard to make 2D and 3D art. These issues depend on many things, for some people opportunity being most important so their skills are used and their deficiencies ignored.

2-3 months ago I came across Zbrush and 3D Modeling and I found it really interesting. I spent a lot of time learning the basics of 3D modeling and sculpting and decided to get a diploma in Game/Animation development, because I would love to see my future in that line of work.

Video game graphic artists typically need to be proficient in both several 2D software and several 3D software. Seldom is mastery in one or two sufficient for a sustained career if you want to work for companies. Freelance artists and Indy game developers might have a better opportunity at success with fewer software, the way I do, in my opinion.

What matters to you is to have a couple 2D and at least two 3D software in intermediate level before being concerned about too much else. For animation especially, you need at least proficiency in a minimum of a couple software.

I have at least tried or are effective in the following and recommend that you look thoroughly into each ( Student, free express, or demo versions if necessary. ) :

3D Software

3ds Max

Maya

Poser

Zbrush

Blender

Wings3D (Great for raw, organic 3D creation and texture application)

Others

2D Software

Photoshop

Paintshop Pro

GIMP

Hardware

Recommended by me:

Dedicated graphics card with at least 2GB Dedicated Video RAM and 6GB System RAM or more, DDR-5.

CPU with at least 2.8 Ghz speed, 4 Cores

Minimum:

1GB Dedicated Video RAM and 3GB System RAM or be able to draw on external RAM boost technology such as flash

CPU with at least 2.0 Ghz, 2 Cores (Dual Core)

It is possible to do graphics work with less, but your workflow will be noticeably slower and some software have higher minimum requirements.

For any artist, your passion is very important and you have that. More later about it...

What I wanted to know is what exactly should I focus on, I always wanted to be a part of great team and desing game animations or games itself. I've read of lot about it and I know which positions would be suitable for me: character designer, enviroment designer or level designer.

Some companies make a distinction between designer and artist. A designer might only design the game and concept art with captioned 2D art for approval by the game developer, manage the art team, and actually place the art into the game. Sometimes all roles are filled by a designer with regard to all art issues. At other times each member is very specialized as in the case of large game development companies. I currently am an artist who works in an art team that is supervised by the game designer who is a partner with the game engine developer. (Together they form the game developer company.) These are examples of how corporate culture and jargon can very widely from company to company, person to person, or region to region. More research will help you to navigate your way in the industry.

Be sure to ask and discover what the terms are in the company for which you apply for work, then use those terms to describe what you offer to that company. For example, a level designer might be called a map maker in another company.

It will probably take months or a year or two to realize what you enjoy the most.

I don't really have any background in programming, but recently I picked up UE4 to see how it works and it seems to be fairly "easy" to learn, but the question is, is UE4 enough for Enviroment/Level designer or something else has to go along with it ? I assume that I would also have to create some models on my own to use in Enviroment/Level or another person is reponsible for that ?

These issues very from company to company. Generally, you need skills in a minimum of 2 or 3 major areas. Many artists have little or no programming skill, while others where several roles. Find what you like to do and get good at them.

When it goes to Character design, I used Zbrush and Maya so far.

That's fine. Stick with them and do not add more until you show good results with what you have.

I would be glad if someone could explain me what software I would have to use in each position and what are the responsibilities for each role.
Sorry, if I am asking for to much.

Again, this varies much across the industry, by sizes of companies and genres of video games.

Thank you in advance
Jacob

smile.png

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I dabbled with 3D art for many years but because of my bad drawing skills i could not develop a proper feel for forms quickly. Where you could draw dozens of quick sketches on a single page you pretty much was working on a single head for many hours if not days in 3D. Drawing is pretty much mandatory for any form of art since you will learn a lot quicker about forms, anatomy, shading, etc. But nowadays we have Zbrush which is a amazing tool and i have seen amazing full detailed speed sculpts done within an hour. Still i think drawing would help, but practice makes perfect. At one time in my life i put a lot of effort in drawing and my skills really improved. So i would really suggest to pickup a pen and paper and just practice. That goes for pretty much anything in life.

PS:

We would love to see some of your models/sculpts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement