Questions for all programmers.

Started by
52 comments, last by LennyLen 9 years, 11 months ago

There has been this urge for me to ask programmers quite a few questions to try and build a simple "database" of sorts. The main purpose of wanting to do this is to try and form relationships. There are also a lot of potential other uses. Mostly it's selfish in the regard I want to know programmers more.

Without further ado I ask you to please answer the following questions:

1) What was the first programming language you studied?

2) Did you have any Computer Science background before your first language (ie: boolean algebra, memory organisation, algorithms)?

3) The first language you studied was it self-taught, formal instruction, or both?

4) Was the Computer-Science background self-taught, formal instruction, or both?

5) When you started to study Computer Science did it help your understanding of the language you first learned?

6) What kind of environment did you first program in (ie: the IDE or text editor, and the OS)?

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

C++

2) Did you have any Computer Science background before your first language (ie: boolean algebra, memory organisation, algorithms)?

Nothing at all.

3) The first language you studied was it self-taught, formal instruction, or both?

Self-Taught

4) Was the Computer-Science background self-taught, formal instruction, or both?

Self-Taught

5) When you started to study Computer Science did it help your understanding of the language you first learned?

Yes.

6) What kind of environment did you first program in (ie: the IDE or text editor, and the OS)?

Windows 98, Visual Studio 6.0, DX 7

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

I believe it was Applesoft BASIC for the Apple IIe

I learned to program quite a bit before college, so no.

Self-Taught generally using the appendix of books with descriptions of key words.

Technical college.

No. It did however teach me C++ and assembly. More importantly, it gave me the understanding of how computers work on a low level that I wanted.

The Apple IIe and C64 that I learned to program with involved writing programs using the OS. In college I learned to C++ using an IDE that came with Borland C++ 4.01. I forget what IDE I used while learning Win32 programming.

BASIC

No

Self-taught

Self-taught

Not specifically that language, no.

Text editor, early Windows environment.

C

No, I didn't.

Formal instruction during college.

Formal instruction.

It was kind of at the same time, I mean learning the concepts while learning the new language (C at that time), so the answer is yes.

Turbo C and the OS I believe was Windows XP.

- BASIC

- No

- Dad-taught

- MS-DOS

BASIC

No.

Self-Taught

Self-Taught

Yes.

GW-BASIC. IBM PC AT would boot into GWBASIC environment when the boot disk not present.

QBasic in DOS

No

Self-taught

Self-taught

I never studied Computer Science. But my game programming courses didn't help much as I had already learned everything by myself. But my background helped me get good grades.

QBasic had it's own text editor in DOS

C++

Boolean logic

Self-taught

Self-taught

Yes, a lot

Visual Studio 2005 on Windows XP, now Linux FTW!!!

Deltron Zero and Automator.

ActionScrpt 2.0

Nope

Self taught

Yes

Flash mx, windows xp.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement