Voxel cone tracing problem

Started by
2 comments, last by gboxentertainment 9 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

I have succesfully implemented some ambient occlusion with voxel cone tracing. It is a very simple implementation, that renders the scene in 6 directions to separate 3D textures.

To improve performance, I wanted to switch to the single-pass voxelization method. The voxelization works and I get better performance. However, if I want to cone trace my ambient occlusion I now get very ugly self-intersection artifacts everywhere. This is because every cone now starts looking for intersections in 1 single 3D texture that comprises the entire scene. How do I avoid these artifacts? Anyone had this problem with VCT before?

PS: I have tried an offset in the surface normal direction to start tracing in the shader, which somewhat improves the situation but doesn't eliminate the artifacts completely. Unless I set it to a huge distance ofcourse, but then my shadows start disappearing.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jeroen

Advertisement

Can you show some screenshots of your problem?

I used dominant direction method with a single 3D texture and never had any issues with my VCT.

[attachment=21961:giboxv3-0.png]

Hi,

This is the method with 6 separate 3D textures:

ao_normal.jpg

And this is what I get with one big texture (or even 3 textures in which +X/-X and -Y/Y and -Z/Z fragments are merged)

ao_fucked.jpg

This is what I get with some offset distance in the shader code:

ao_lessfucked.jpg

As you can see, there is some improvement, but the artifacts never dissappear completely.

Actually, I just realised you are talking about ambient occlusion; which I didn't implement using VCT because its too inaccurate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement