Just about to release a game...

Started by
9 comments, last by cozzie 9 years, 8 months ago

Hi,

I'm just about to release an android game on Google Play for the first time. I'm not really use to self-publishing and was wondering if there is anything I must do before releasing a game such as copyright procedures etc.

I wrote all of the code for the game and done most of the artwork but some of the models I took from turbosquid; but only those under the Royalty free - for all extended users license, likewise all of the sounds I used in the game are under the Creative commons 0 license and any external textures I got from cgtextures.com (which I believe are all royalty free).

I've skimmed over android's Launch checklist: http://developer.android.com/distribute/tools/launch-checklist.html but intend to read through it thoroughly before release.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I should do to avoid any lauch disasters? anything that could cause the game to be brought down etc.

Thanks.

Advertisement

You'll be fine.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

You might want to mention turbosquid somewhere in credits or a readme, just in case (I believe that's the trade to use them royalty free)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

First, congratulations on making it to the final hop.

Second, read through the royalty free agreement and you should be fine.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Just wanted to add my congratulations on your upcoming release! Best of luck with sales!

Also, the above posters are pointing you in the right direction. And adding the TurboSquid citation might help others find ways to make games, so I'd include it and pimp it a bit.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm currently just waiting for the app to become available through Google play. The publishing process was more involved than I had imagined. A few things I was caught out by were:

• You have to add licensing code to your application using Google's LVL library; the annoying thing about this is that there is a known bug in LVL that throws a NullPointerException when you don't have Google Play installed on your device. I tried to catch this exception to provide an error message but unfortunately it's being thrown on an inaccessible thread.
  • There is a hard 50MB limit on all applications, I skimmed over some documentation that had me believe your application could be over 50MB but this is only if you use APK extension files which you have to manage in code. I had to remove about 7MB of content from the final game, fortunately I had a lot of redundant sound data to spare but this could definately catch some developers out.
  • Google play doesn't have the most intuative User interface - you have to publish a game before you can test it - and then promote it to a production release. I've been waiting for the past ~18hrs for the game to actually show up on the marketplace just so I can test the licensing code I implemented :(

Anyway thanks for the advice. I read over the Turbosquid license aggreement and couldn't see anywhere it said to mention the website in your game, I was going to add a small paragraph/sentence in the about section but then realized I had already localized the game into 21 different languages :( I'll add a reference in the Play store page and trailer video description though.

I'll post a link here aswell if Google play ever decides to actually publish the game

Thanks.

Here's the link for the game:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dreadgames.acorn

Let me know what you think of the trailer (video editing isn't really my strong point). Also, if you decide to purchase let me know if you think the game is overpriced or if you run into any problems etc. just send me an email at: craig.dreadev@gmail.com

Thanks.

I just looked at the trailer, and for a first time developer I am very impressed. The game looks good, and I particularly like the cel-shading on the guns.

There are three points I would personally change:

1. Intro text. I'd have a real logo or splash screen for the game as opposed to the white text.

2. Ending text. Having the entire URL at the end of the video wasn't the best choice. Maybe changing it so it says "Available now on Google Play" or something along those lines would be beneficial.

3. The Menus. They look a little empty and bland, and could do with a logo in there, too. This is based on the screenshots, so I may be wrong.

Overall, I'd say it's a strong promotional video for your game. I'm actually a little tempted to buy it, as the price is very good for what has been shown, but I'm afraid my phone is a little too old! Good job, and good luck!

Agree with DingusKhan

Don't forget to add your own splash screen with your logo before the game starts and your credentials in the Credits menu.

Also, I'd like to share with you this awesome video of how to deal with agreements if you want to publish your game somewhere

Plunged headlong into a promising start-up project. Public beta now.

Hi, how heavy is your game on the resources. Do you know what the general requirements are ?

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement