Where should I start? (2D Game Programming)

Started by
18 comments, last by Sareefbadmaash 9 years, 9 months ago

A few friends of mine, and myself have been wanting to create a 2D multiplayer game. We don't know where we should start really? We just want to make a basic 2D game where we can all communicate with eachother through a server. Any help on where to start?

Advertisement

If you haven't written any games yet, starting with a multiplayer game is too big of a first step. Jumping straight into network game programming will over complicate things.

Here's a great article for starting out:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

It explains which games you should make first and why.

Once you have a game, then you can move on to trying to make it multiplayer. You'll want to find a good networking library for C++. I used Lidgren for a few personal C# projects a while back and was very pleased with it. I'm not sure if Lidgren has a ready-to-use C++ library or not.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

What are your skills, what languages etc?

Have you considered using a game engine such as Unity/Unreal?

What are you amitions, network programming isn't really that that bad...

If you need some help just ask.

What are your skills, what languages etc?

Have you considered using a game engine such as Unity/Unreal?

I don't know if I really have any "skills". I know Java like the back of my hand, and am trying to transition over to C++ because it is much more secure for game programming.

I do not consider using pre-built game engines like those because I want to create an MMORPG. No "real" (or in other words successful) MMORPG's were ever created in a pre-built engines such as Unity.

If you haven't written any games yet, starting with a multiplayer game is too big of a first step. Jumping straight into network game programming will over complicate things.

The best I have done as far as programming a video game would be making a text game in C++, and making an incomplete version of Super Mario Bros in Java as seen here:

Also, not going to lie. If I could make my game in Java, it would be a piece of cake for me. But the fact is that Java will most likely never be secure enough to make video games due to the fact that .JAR files are very VERY VERY VERY easy to decompile and hack. So that's why I have to now learn C++. I am having A LOT of trouble coming over from Java because C++ goes much more in depth when it comes to coding things such as servers and what not. Especially since in order to use MySQL in C++ you have to use a windows form application. You cannot use MySQL in a normal "empty project". :/ any help on that would be appreciated. All of the links to MySQL in C++ seem to have to be a Windows form application which I cannot use...

Especially since in order to use MySQL in C++ you have to use a windows form application. You cannot use MySQL in a normal "empty project". :/ any help on that would be appreciated.

That's not true. You can use MySQL from any sort of C++ program you wish, from Win32 console applications to graphical applications. What sort of problem are you having?

The easiest way to use MySQL from C++ is probably through the connector: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/cpp/

Ah... At first you said "a simple 2d game where my friends and I can chat" and then you drop the term "We're going to make an mmorpg"... Ugh...

Go read this article right now:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

Read the whole thing! >.<

And don't knock using game engines or higher level languages. Read this one too:

http://clicktobegin.net/productivity/reasons-you-arent-a-successful-indie/

Especially #2 where he talks about using game engines and languages. He even points out that Minecraft was made in Java.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Java will most likely never be secure enough to make video games due to the fact that .JAR files are very VERY VERY VERY easy to decompile and hack

Not necessarily true. You might want to google up the term "obfuscation".

Code obfuscation, in this case, would be an example of security through obscurity.

I would advise against relying on security through obscurity.

Other than that, Eck posted valuable information.

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement