• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alessio1989

So... C++14 is done :O

This topic is 1367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
And there I haven't even given every C++11 feature a spin yet.

IMHO, you missed the best "new" feature in that list:
- Binary literals (yay, finally!)

You also missed extended constexpr Nevermind, no you didn't, but regardless -- for a complete rundown, see https://isocpp.org/wiki/faq/cpp14-language

The new auto return type is more than just extending it to functions, it also has more capability with respect to multiple return statements and recursive calls -- basically, as long as the first return statement's type can be deduced, you can now have subsequent return statements, including recursive calls, as long as they all agree on the type.

decltype(auto) is a new refinement of type deduction that is mostly useful to preserve the reference-ness where simple auto wouldn't -- My understanding is that it performs the same function as auto-with-trailing-return-type-of-decltype, but without the trailing part. It can be used anywhere a declaration can be used, which might be useful but early guidance is that this would be an anti-pattern. This is super important, but mostly for library-implementors.

There's also a new standard [[deprecated]] attribute to mark deprecated APIs, and you can now use the single quote (') character anywhere in numeric literals to separate digits to make them more readable, in any of the literal formats -- e.g. 0b0110'0011 to separate out the nybles in a byte.

Edited by Ravyne

Any hope/wish/desire for the next standard?

Compile time reflections (and being able to process them)

Edited by imoogiBG

Keep in mind that C++ also now has Technical Specifications, which are extensions to the language or library that are standardized in functionality but not required. e.g., Reflection is likely to land in a TS, meaning that any compiler that implements it will implement it in a compatible way but compilers can still be C++17 compliant without supporting it. Think of them sort of like OpenGL extensions, but each with the clear intent to roll into the proper standard once they've been hammered on by the community and unforeseen design mistakes are sorted out.

Glad to see C++14 finalized. I've already been making use of it as I tend to use GCC and increasingly Clang/LLVM.

Concepts are nice, but what I think C++ desperately needs is modules, and I don't think it can wait till C++17. We need modules yesterday. Besides that, I personally would like to see a standardized ABI for C++, as purposed by N4028, as that is something which I personally think is important.

It is syntactic sugar, it is language bloat.

It can make code shorter and easier to read. C++ is already extremely large and complicated, removing the "bloat" of range-based for loops would not improve the situation in any noticeable way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!