What game companies hire remote programmers?

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 9 years, 8 months ago

Hi! I'm looking for a REMOTE (TELECOMMUTE) c++/lua/python job in game industry. What companies occasionally have such vacancies?

Advertisement
I would check Monster and Gamasutra job postings. I wager you'll be limited to mostly indie studios, as larger studios will likely be able to find talent who are willing to relocate.

In general, it's very difficult to find permanent positions that are remote. Fully telecommuting companies that I know of are Slightly Mad Studios (http://www.slightlymadstudios.com/careers.html) and Boomzap (http://www.boomzap.com/jobs/) both of which look like they're hiring at the moment.

I think that most telecommuting/partial telecommuting positions you'll find are going to be contract only, and typically people hiring contract coders are expecting a high level of experience, I don't know where contract coders go to find work. The other common route to telecommuting is to be on the inside somehow (e.g. after working in-house at a company for awhile, switching some or all of your hours to wfh for whatever reason).

Remote positions at big studios are almost unheard of -- they will sometimes allow for existing employees to work remotely, but as a new hire this is pretty much limited to those with an especially high level of skill and an established track record. In general, game development at a scale of larger than a dozen or so people is a very collaborative process where daily face-to-face communication is a necessity. Complicating matters further are technological issues, wherein it might be very difficult for a remote worker to have a workable network connection for all the high-bandwidth things he needs to do -- a developer like yourself needs either the bandwidth to download regular, full builds (which could be in the 10s of GBs, daily or more) or needs to maintain a local copy of all in-progress art and code assets, along with a fully replicated build system. Even further complications arise if you do console development or must work under NDAs that prohibit documentation and/or physical dev-kits from being stored at non-commercial work-sites -- I'm not sure if its that way with the just-launched generation of consoles, many of the companies seem more open about it, but at least in past console generations none of the manufacturers allowed you to have a devkit if you worked from a home office.

Certain roles are more amenable to remote work -- Audio in particular, where the workflow permits and where few companies have enough demand to justify a fulltime composer or sound designer (even large ones). Most of that is contract work. I imagine art is the same, to a lesser extent.

Companies that work relatively exclusively on PC titles, or smaller indie studios are typically more amenable to remote situations -- many of the better known indies studios started as -- or still are -- largely remote affairs.

Small contract work is sometimes available, but it takes a lot to build up a reputation and unless you know someone, usually requires working your way up from the bottom. One of the best ways to fast-track your reputation is take on an open-source project to work on -- remember that any code you write under contract isn't something that you can just slap into your portfolio.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Yup, with contracting you mostly just need a data connection. As long as you get the contract complete and stay in contact with the producer in charge there is less expected. The contractor doesn't need to move their business to the office space, although they may need to visit occasionally.

But as an employee, time at the office is normally just part of the employment deal. Quite a lot of corporate contracts require secure environments for their equipment and software, and your employer isn't likely to ask Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft to rewrite their contracts just so you can work in your pajamas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement