free private SVN with biggest disk space?

Started by
23 comments, last by fastcall22 7 years, 4 months ago

hi guys

I'm looking for best free SVN server, but private so guests cannot view the code.

something like "dropbox" but for SVN and more free space (at least 5GB+)

anyone knows such sites?

thanks in advance

Advertisement
I'm not aware of an SVN hoster that offer that amount of space for free. Yet it shouldn't be too expensive to buy a plan that meets your requirements, probably around 10€/month.
Why not use tortoise svn in that case. Free and space is limited to your hard drive capacity.

Yep, most flexible free solution is to host it yourself laugh.png Leave a PC on 24/7 running the SVN daemon, and tell your router to forward the SVN ports on to that PC.

Alternatively, it's free to rent a private host in the amazon cloud with 5GB of storage (for the first 12 months).

[edit] as pointed out below this can be as expensive as renting a server/service -- A 250W PC * 0.15c/kWh * 24hrs * 30days = ~$27/month -- so check your utility rates and look into low-power PCs to use as the server :D

Yep, most flexible free solution is to host it yourself laugh.png Leave a PC on 24/7 running the SVN daemon, and tell your router to forward the SVN ports on to that PC.

pretty much this, i use VisualSVN as the server, and it's pretty straight forward setup. of course this means you either need an isp that gives you a public ip address(ours isn't technically a static address, but it hasn't been changed in over a year).
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
If you don't have a static IP, there's a few free dynamic DNS services out there who will give you a static domain name that redirects to your dynamic IP.

If it's for personal use, you can just have it on your local network with no need for a static address.

Ofcourse, leaving a PC on for 24/7 that you otherwise wouldn't be using can cost a pretty penny depending on your electrical costs in your area - it might even be higher than the $10 a month you'd be paying to online hosts.

You can configure your devices so they automaticly turn off during the night and then turn back on, but even so, compare your power bills for a few months to double-check that everything's good.

(You can also configure your devices so they aren't pulling power for unneccesary tasks and unneccesary hardware - you don't need a videocard and monitor hooked up to a server)

Assembla offers a free personal plan: https://www.assembla.com/sign-up

From the site:

• 1 Private Project, 2 Users
  • 1 SVN, Git, or Perforce Repository
  • 500 MB Storage

You're probably not going to find that for free.

I use Dreamhost for my web-hosting plan -- I don't use them for Version Control, but they do have 1-click SVN install as an option. Disk space / bandwidth limits are high enough to be effectively unlimited for any reasonable purpose. I pay around $10 USD / month.

Another option would be a VPS or similar. There are many options for hosts, but the one I like best is Digital Ocean -- you can get an instance with 1CPU / 512MB RAM /20GB storage / 1TB traffic per month for just $5 -- and they actually bill hourly, so you don't pay if you take it down for any reason. For $10/mo, you get 1CPU/ 1GB RAM /30GB storage /2TB traffic. Either plan would be enough to run a version control system and then some -- maybe webhosting, a bug tracker, and a nightly build system if you were so inclined.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I also recommend digitalocean - they are very cheap and the uptime has been great.

You can have an svn server up and running on a debian instance in minutes and pay very little per month. I think I pay $5 for mine, but i don't put my version control on it - my repositories are stored in a git repository on a local linux server managed by a commercial program called atlassian stash which has a one-off price of $10.

You might want to look into installing a similar system for svn as it simplifies creation of repositories and security etc, rather than having to do it all from the command-line. Were you thinking of a windows, or a *nix server to host the svn on?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement