Sign in to follow this  

how to get a display is configured to span/extended mode?

This topic is 1194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to retrieve the display mode it is being configured in the OS.

Suppose, when a system has graphic card (any vendor) which supports connecting multi-displays. I'm able query the no. of monitors being connected when display settings configured to extended mode. But, for Span/Duplicate modes, always returns only 1 monitor being connected. 

Is there a way to identify

1. no. of monitors being connected regardless of the mode it is being configured? or
  2. no. of monitors being attached to the primary display for span/duplicate mode? or
  3. what type of mode the display is being configured?

I'm using the below code to identify the display count:

// I need to get the address of a few multi-monitor functions
	//
	HMODULE user32 = GetModuleHandle ("User32.DLL");
	typedef BOOL WINAPI tEnumDisplayDevices (void*, DWORD, DISPLAY_DEVICE*, DWORD);
	tEnumDisplayDevices* fEnumDisplayDevices = (tEnumDisplayDevices*) GetProcAddress (user32, "EnumDisplayDevicesA");
	if (fEnumDisplayDevices == NULL) return false;

/*int fResult;
	fResult = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CMONITORS);*/

// count the number of monitors attached to the system
	//
	int numMirrorDevices = 0, numMonitorsAttached = 0, numMonitorsTotal = 0;
	DISPLAY_DEVICE dd;	dd.cb = sizeof(dd);
	for (DWORD dev=0;  fEnumDisplayDevices (NULL, dev, &dd, 0);  ++dev)
	{
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_ACTIVE)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is active. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
		}
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_PRIMARY_DEVICE)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is primary. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
		}
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_REMOVABLE)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is removable. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
		}
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_VGA_COMPATIBLE)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is VGA. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
		}
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_MODESPRUNED)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is more dsiplay modes. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
		}
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_MIRRORING_DRIVER)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is a mirroring driver device. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
			numMirrorDevices++;
			continue;
		}
		if (dd.StateFlags & DISPLAY_DEVICE_ATTACHED_TO_DESKTOP)
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is attached to the desktop. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
			numMonitorsAttached++;
		}
		else
		{
			LOG_INFO (funcName << ": Device: " << dd.DeviceName << " is not attached. Flags: " << dd.StateFlags);
		}
		numMonitorsTotal++;
	}

LOG_INFO (funcName << ": " << numMonitorsTotal << " monitors detected, " << numMonitorsAttached 
		<< " attached to the desktop, mirroring devices: " << numMirrorDevices);

and the output for this code as follows:

when 3 displays are connected (for a QUAD output PC) in Individual/Extended mode i'm getting the below output:

Device: \\.\DISPLAY1 is active. Flags: 5

Device: \\.\DISPLAY1 is primary. Flags: 5
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1 is attached to the desktop. Flags: 5
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2 is active. Flags: 1
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2 is attached to the desktop. Flags: 1
Device: \\.\DISPLAY3 is active. Flags: 1
Device: \\.\DISPLAY3 is attached to the desktop. Flags: 1
Device: \\.\DISPLAY4 is not attached. Flags: 0
Device: \\.\DISPLAYV1 is a mirroring driver device. Flags: 8
Device: \\.\DISPLAYV2 is a mirroring driver device. Flags: 8
4 monitors detected, 3 attached to the desktop, mirroring devices: 2

when the same 3 displays are connected (for a QUAD output PC) in Span/Stretch/Duplicate mode i'm getting below output:

Device: \\.\DISPLAY1 is active. Flags: 5

Device: \\.\DISPLAY1 is primary. Flags: 5
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1 is attached to the desktop. Flags: 5
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2 is not attached. Flags: 0
Device: \\.\DISPLAY3 is not attached. Flags: 0
Device: \\.\DISPLAY4 is not attached. Flags: 0
Device: \\.\DISPLAYV1 is a mirroring driver device. Flags: 8
Device: \\.\DISPLAYV2 is a mirroring driver device. Flags: 8
4 monitors detected, 1 attached to the desktop, mirroring devices: 2

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks in advance.

It is a bit too late to dig in my code and i do not actually know how/if it handles ~stretch modes - but it should (at least it is meant to). Have to check that tomorrow.

However, my code is intended to enumerate all displays and their actual modes (from EDID data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data#EDID_1.3_data_format ) i use EDD_GET_DEVICE_INTERFACE_NAME for enumeration.

Interface names should be on a per monitor basis - ie. physical monitors instead of logical ones (i doubt the graphics card is faking a EDID response in hardware for stretch modes).

edit: My graphics card does not seem to use your terminology - so i am not sure what any of the stretch options you mentioned actually mean. I use two monitors as one desktop (both on same graphics device - so, stuff can overlap both monitors). No problems detecting the monitors and their desktop coordinates / etc / etc.

edit2: Ha, i thought i remembered a mode that stretched the windows task bar over both screens making windows think it is one monitor. And it seems stretch indeed refer to graphics card faking a single monitor. Google did spit out this in regards to stretch: "Most video cards only support span (aka. stretch) mode on Windows XP and earlier.". No wonder i do not see it mentioned anywhere - it is abandoned nowadays. If true then the only way to know the actual monitors is ask your graphics card in some vendor specific way.

Edited by tanzanite7

Somehow i need to find-out the way of identifying the each monitor being attached. This is highly required for licensing our players based upon the monitor count.

w.r.t Graphic card way, i doubt is there a common methodology being used for all graphic card vendors? Will analyze more on this. Anyways, thanks for you reply.

Somehow i need to find-out the way of identifying the each monitor being attached. This is highly required for licensing our players based upon the monitor count.

This sounds like a generally bad idea. Even if punishing your paying customers is something you wanted to do, you have no guarantee of monitor-to-player ratio. Maybe one player sets up four monitors to play the game in a massive resolution. Maybe four players window your game, launch four copies, and use four controllers to play on a single monitor (not terribly hard, even if you don't provide the options in the game itself).

This topic is 1194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.