• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lask1

Ads in pc games

This topic is 1479 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I am programming a pc game and I would like to make the game free however, I still would enjoy making a few $$$ off of it. One idea I thought was using awesomium and hosting web ads through my game... Any thoughts or comments on this? 

Thanks,

lask

Advertisement
I like the approach some devs take - have a free version with ads, and a $1 version without. Seems like a good strategy.

This is the kind of thing that creates internet backlash, regardless of whether it's fair or justified. I wouldn't do it simply because the players will eviscerate you for it.

This is the kind of thing that creates internet backlash, regardless of whether it's fair or justified. I wouldn't do it simply because the players will eviscerate you for it.

Any suggestions? I really would prefer to keep the game free and full featured. I have experience with admob services on Android however, it does seem no one pushes for this kind of service on pc.

Thanks

Design product placement space ingame i.e. billboards, posters, food/drink items etc and then sell the rights to brand those items for use ingame -- product placement in movies is an example of similar -- what you would need to establish though is whether you are able to capture sufficient market, demographics etc to make the advertisers consider the investment a worthwhile return. Good luck - the odds are against you but not insurmountable.

Edit: Take note of what Promit said as you will have that battle on your hands as well.

Edited by Stormynature

Ad-supported can be a pain for players. If you go down that route, I suggest you use a system that allows you to gauge what will end up showing in that ad space so that it may be relevant to your players.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!