Specific Heat

Started by
6 comments, last by vbisme 22 years, 6 months ago
A 150.0g sample of a metal at 75.0C is added to 150.0g of water at 15.0C. The temperature of the water rises to 18.3C. Calculate the specific heat capacity of the metal, assuming that all the heat lost by the metal is gained by the water.
Advertisement
We won''t do your homework for you.
And if you actually can''t figure that out by simple unit analysis, you''re especially stupid.
Yea, try it, see if you get anywhere!
quote:Original post by vbisme
Yea, try it, see if you get anywhere!

I solved it in under 30 seconds. Your point?

Hint: from your comments in your other post on this subject, I see that you think time is involved in the relationship. The related quantities are heat, mass, specific heat capacity and temperature (t stands for temp, not time).

Now go away.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
We don't need to try these things out vbisme. We already know how to do these chemistry problems since many of us already took that a long time ago. You need to learn on your own; that is the only "true" way you will be able to understand chemistry/physics.

Do you know what unit analysis is?

If you want to convert from 100 meters to kilometers you just go:

100m * (1 km / 1000 m) = 0.1 km

The meters cancel and you get your answer in kilometers, easy ain't it?

Or, since you're in chemistry maybe you want to do it in moles of oxygen and get it to grams of oxygen:

50moleO * (16gO / 1moleO) = whatever, you do it on your own ;-)

Useful hint: 1 mole = 6.022 * 10^23 units of something (cows, deers, you, whatever)

These forums are for learning and educating oneself; not for us to do your problems: maybe you should go to Google and search for some chemistry sites (there are TONS).

Good luck!

[EDIT] Had 50m there oops!

Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 7, 2001 2:59:22 AM
quote:Original post by Viscous-Flow
We already know how to do these chemistry problems...

Actually, I learn''t about it in physics

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Okay,

Thread closed. This is clearly a homework question. Read the Forum FAQ folks.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement