I am developping a 3D Engine....

Started by
15 comments, last by ndj55 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi all! I am currently developping a 3D engine called OpenAir... It''s coded in C++,using OpenGL and under the GNU/GPL License... This is the very beginning but I would like your impressions... You can have a look on 2 screenshots on http://ndj55.free.fr/ScreenshotsOpenAir.htm You can download the program and the sources on http://www.ndj55.fr.fm If you have some ideas,some questions,some suggestions,some bug reports;please contact me at ndj55@free.fr...
Advertisement
I'd like some information on making a 3D engine...how long does it take?

"I envy you, who has seen it all"
"And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..."
- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001

Edited by - tom76 on November 8, 2001 1:58:45 PM
if (witisism == !witty) return to_hole
A lllllllllloooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg time.

Lets see, I am about 60% finished with mine and I''ve been doing this for about a year (I get in between 4 - 20 hours a week on it).

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
My first impression was.. that''s alright. Then I looked closer, and think you need a better texture for the background (it''s VERY blurry), and to use Mip-Mapping in your textures... that would correct the problem with your roof not showing properly, and the distant ground texture looking funny. Looks like a good start though, keep up the good work.

Billy
Oo, the sky has corners...
The skybox really looks like a cube.
it is a cube

lol
I gots a question about 3d engines. I was thinking about developing my own but I don''t exactly know what they are. Are they just header and c++ files? source code?
When you hear the world "engine" in computer science it usually describes a whole "system" of functions that work together. so you have a bunch of modules "cpp/h" files that are connected together to produce a reusable interface for type of application you are making the engine work for.

So this "engine" will work with most 3D games you write.

If you write a 2D engine you will be able to create almost any type of 2D game...etc...

but yes.. it''s just source and header files
In 3d games, the sky looks like it stretches on forever, plus its animated (basically just moving texture coords, i think). How do i implememt the effect of stretching on forever?
I eat heart attacks
In 3d games, the sky looks like it stretches on forever, plus its animated (basically just moving texture coords, i think). How do i implememt the effect of stretching on forever?
I eat heart attacks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement