Visual representation/Graphics

Started by
1 comment, last by Dawoodoz 9 years, 6 months ago

Hey gamedev, I've been working on this game on-and-off for a long time now. It's basically a runner where you need to press buttons at the right time to advance.

Anyway, I decided to add a 2 phase system. For example when you're in phase 1, you can only collide with blue platforms. When you're in phase 2, you can only collide with red platforms. It used to be only 1 phase, but it was kind of boring.

Now, the problem is that it is very unclear in which phase you're in at the moment. I need some more visual representation.

Video of game:

(Background music picked up )smile.png

Game : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev2tput1g6mq9y2/game.exe?dl=0 (ctrl to switch phases, space to jump. Sorry for the crappy levels.)

Yeah, to me right now it looks very unclear in which phase you're at. I tried changing the player colour depending on what phase you're in, but it looked very derp and didn't help. A while ago I tried a border, but it was very epileptic and unappealing.

Also, the levels look dead. When I add a lot of platforms to them they look a lot nicer, but the game becomes almost impossible to play because it becomes super hard.

So yeah, if I can't get a more clear representation I will go back to no phases.

Any suggestions on the matter? Thanks.

Advertisement

My suggestion would be to change the color of the line coming from the front of the player... It would be relatively obvious because that's what the player is staring at most of the time.

I develop to expand the universe. "Live long and code strong!" - Delta_Echo (dream.in.code)

I would add some 2D sprites moving at different speeds at different depths in the background to improve immersion. The background can show the inner wall of a building when the level gets tougher. Someone might give up on the game without figuring out how to play it since the only metaphor connected to the real world is gravity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement