Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

what technology to use: Android 2D game

Started by matheszabi Oct 30, 2014 at 12:55 AM 10 replies 5.3k views
Original Post
matheszabi
matheszabi

I would like to try to make a game which is similar to an existing one, but lower graphics and lower budget.

I know they used Cocos2D-x, but I don't know that framework.

Also I am not interested in iOS version now, just Android.

The major pitfalls what I have found are:

- if I write in SDK only with 2D canvas thats is the fastest development time, but is like how it would be open source: Everybody can decompile-it in 4 seconds and make a clone.

- if I go to a lower level JNI, than it not so easy to read all, like a plain text file, but except of some decompile protection doesn't give anything in plus.

- If I start at a lower level: OpenGL than is slow the development. It is hard to make a "dialog" a "text", a sprite plain animation is ok based on different images for each keyframe.

- mixing OpenGL surface and native components (text) usually not a great idea.

- tutorials for different frameworks, game engines are starting with triangles, vertices.

A screen record of the game is visible here:

At 05 sec it starting a "fight Scene". It seems to be 2D only. But there are the "flying texts" : loose health, restore health.

Also I don't know what happens when an archer launch an arrow. Is the arrow a new sprite?

Are there any free tools, which can be embedded into Android easy with bone/skeletal animations? - as I have seen they are exporting a large number of png files.

How should be done that scene and the result dialog after that? - the dialog has animation with stars and the result items added, it is not displayed all once together.

There are many other dialogs in game which has texts.

I don't want to waste 3 - 5 weeks with 1 dialog to be placed 1 animated text there. Ideas?

For iOS is something like this: http://vimeo.com/87028759 available

frob
frob

Some of your comments are rather funny.


I would like to try to make a game which is similar to an existing one. ... if I write in SDK only with 2D canvas thats is the fastest, but everybody can decompile-it in 4 seconds and make a clone.

So you want to clone other people's stuff, but you don't want them to clone your stuff. Interesting.

Also, (not quoting) you want low level library functionality but you want to avoid low level libraries, and you want high level library functionality but you want to avoid high level libraries. You talk about using 2D libraries but then talk of 3D functionality.

What exactly DO you want to make? The video shows something that could be put together in Unity fairly simply. ... but then again, as you are against others cloning your work, why are you cloning the work of others?

Buster2000
Buster2000

Either use cocos2D-X if you want to write in C++ or libGDX if you want to write in Java.

It doesn't matter if somebody can decompile your Java code its nothing to loose sleep over. You can give your self a little protection by running Proguard.

CatalinAvram
CatalinAvram
For a 2d android game, you might want to use AndEngine - I have had good experience with it. But not sure about your requirements of low level libraries with no low level coding :/
matheszabi
matheszabi

Some of your comments are rather funny.


I would like to try to make a game which is similar to an existing one. ... if I write in SDK only with 2D canvas thats is the fastest, but everybody can decompile-it in 4 seconds and make a clone.

So you want to clone other people's stuff, but you don't want them to clone your stuff. Interesting.

Also, (not quoting) you want low level library functionality but you want to avoid low level libraries, and you want high level library functionality but you want to avoid high level libraries. You talk about using 2D libraries but then talk of 3D functionality.

What exactly DO you want to make? The video shows something that could be put together in Unity fairly simply. ... but then again, as you are against others cloning your work, why are you cloning the work of others?

"So you want to clone other people's stuff, but you don't want them to clone your stuff. Interesting."

No I don't want a clone. The similar is not a clone.

I gave a screen record in case if somebody want to help ant not to be ironic to have an idea what I would like to do it.

"Also, (not quoting) you want low level library functionality but you want to avoid low level libraries, and you want high level library functionality but you want to avoid high level libraries."

Yes, that is kinda confusing for me where to start, which part to do it. The low level is bad because I don't have the higher level functionality the high level is bad because I don't have the low level access.

"You talk about using 2D libraries but then talk of 3D functionality."

I have read somewhere the models, sprites are made in 3d animations in 3d then exported and used in 2D games.

"The video shows something that could be put together in Unity fairly simply"

Unity Pro + Android is 3k usd. That is kinda high price for me now.

AndEngine is pure Java.

Proguard just obfuscation, it has 0 protection.

It seems I need Android NDK ( C / C++) - with C I am familiar, but not sure how to create from there the SDK UI elements (Button) or just use another graphics framework, QT or write it from scratch my button? - need pressed / released animations and so on + other ui components: Label, textfield, ListView.

frob
frob




"The video shows something that could be put together in Unity fairly simply"
Unity Pro + Android is 3k usd. That is kinda high price for me now.

The free version works just fine on Android.

The free version omits some small bits of functionality that don't apply to your game as described. It also adds a brief "Unity" splash screen, which usually is not a big issue in practice.

matheszabi
matheszabi

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Modules

That's why is / were used this framework by so much game developers!

Has the 2D rendering and has the UI Components: Label, Button, Checkbox,... and many others! - and is not written in Java: has less GC problems, decompile is not 4 seconds ( but still possible)

- very probably this will be my option.

- Unity is a closed source, and anytime can change they license from free plan (just logo add at slash) to 3k usd or 10k whatever they want. I can't trust they for 2-3 years.

Thanks whoever wanted to help!

Thread can be closed.

capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Is decompiling a thing that, like, actually happens? I mean, I don't really get into the Juarez, so I don't have any data to go by. I know everyone has always complained about Java and .NET in this regard, but have any of you actually heard of a real someone losing real money because someone ganked their source code via decompiling?
matheszabi
matheszabi

Is decompiling a thing that, like, actually happens? I mean, I don't really get into the Juarez, so I don't have any data to go by. I know everyone has always complained about Java and .NET in this regard, but have any of you actually heard of a real someone losing real money because someone ganked their source code via decompiling?

Yes,

In this days I am reading a lot, maybe to much.

A game had nice graphics nice story at iTunes and they made it available to Android.

At Android had a few hundred of download, while a decompiled and repacked game has 35000 downloads in a few days. Is kinda difference...

frob
frob

Yes, some of the big and popular games get reverse engineered. That is a symptom of success, after you succeed you will be inundated with clones. Legality of the clones varies by location on the globe and fighting them is difficult.

However...

There are over 1000 new apps every day. Your product is far more likely to die in obscurity.

The apocryphal story above about an obscure title getting cloned and then the clone getting some downloads, that is easily accomplished by bad guys simply pointing their bot net at the clone they made in order to artificially boost their sales. If you see it, report it, and report it as under the appropriate portion of the TOS violations. Those products come and go quickly, and get de-listed all the time.

capn_midnight
capn_midnight

Yes, the much bigger issue is, are you ever even going to finish your project? If I could bet money that projects would *fail* rather than only being able to bet they will succeed, I'd be a very rich man, indeed.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.