Trudy's Mechanicals, Steampunk Tactics *New Trailer*

Started by
41 comments, last by Skall 8 years, 4 months ago
Since we have multiple layers for the textures, lets start by adding some basic fringes to our house:

LQhsLZF.jpg

The above image has vertically-fringed corners, but we quickly ran into an issue with horizontal fringing. Since our heights are done in half-blocks (64 "pixels", which are half of the 128 minimum texture height) and the fringe textures occupy only a small portion of a tile, it was possible for the textures to be applied with no visual alteration. The animation below shows the same fringe being applied to different elevations, with some of the textures not appearing until they're "nudged".

T6Nxkub.gif

This nudging alters the anchor of the texture so that the fringe part starts 64 pixels lower and properly aligns with the tile. This nudging was required in numerous places, so we also implemented it for horizontal orientation. This allows us to quickly fine-tune other decorations such as vines:

Inr2Xui.gif

And here's our house with some grass fringes, extra vines, and a few windows:

eO8fQ1l.jpg

Will do a quick update on lighting next time!
Advertisement
Just a quick update showing some lighting variation via different skyboxes/light point samples.

bH15mEr.jpg

The lighting intensity and skybox saturations are purposefully overintensified to show off the contrast between them. It's still all fairly subtle to ensure that coloured lights don't completely distort the painterly style. We hope this approach gives us some options for "tinting" each biome and giving them all a unique atmosphere.

Looks nice, I hope this does well.

This is my thread. There are many threads like it, but this one is mine.

Thank you! I didn't see the original response right away -- gotta recheck those thread-subscription notifications.

Anyway, one more update on textural decorations: decals.

Unlike regular textures that are placed on top of each other, decals don't have to conform to a specific tile size and can be smoothly moved around. They can also scale easily and wrap around objects as shown below:

jQ0UFfu.gif

However, since decals are projected down, they tend to unintentionally overlap multiple objects. In the case of the house, any prop standing next to it would "absorb" a part of the crack decal, which didn't really work out. In the end, we used them somewhat sparingly and in more desolate areas.

LlVZ8hn.jpg

Next up, we finally decorate the scene with some objects!
Finally, it's time to add some decorations. These make a big difference.

jgHR1QK.gif

Objects by default snap to the ground tile beneath the cursor, and like textures can be rotated around. Since objects contain collisions and can be of any size, rotating ones that have a large base uses the top-left corner as the anchor.

With objects, we generally didn't need to worry as much about snapping to corners or rotating by 90 degrees as with textures, especially for aesthetic ones. We also added the ability to rotate around any axis, not just the y, and "nudge" each object by a small fraction of a tile.

With those capabilities in hand, we went ahead and added object sets. Like with textures, these allow us to "paint" with a randomly selected object from a list, and rotate/nudge it up to a maximum amount based on given parameters. Here's how it looks in action:

D7Vbl05.gif

Once the trees and tree trunks were put in, we manually adjust them so that clipping is not a visible issue, and add various other decorations such as brambles, miscellaneous plants, benches, lamp posts, fallen leaf clumps, etc.

A few dirt patches later, and we get this:

JxzCx6j.jpg

Of course it's still not done yet, but it's beginning to look more and more like an actual place, don't you think?

Very impressive....

Comment on the 'trains of the sprawl' for when you start doing the models : roller bearings and coil springs are far too modern, leaf springs and journal boxes are the 'old style' (and also are less complicated to model). Also if you are edging towards european/mediterranean styles then they should look less american style also.

Thinking about it, I forget what Ive seen for games of this type where you have mountable 'vehicles' (all the complications with secondary coordinate systems -- at least trains go in straight lines)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Huh, I grew up around some fairly old trains, but never noticed leaf springs. It's actually a very cool visual design, but unfortunately I believe we've already modeled the train cars.

It's always tricky with to stay accurate to a fictional and anachronistic genre (basic flintlock pistols alongside electrical contraptions and technology that never existed/would have never worked). Still, we are aiming to go for a slightly more European vibe with a distinct look, so I'd love to touch up some of these pieces to make them more cohesive. Thanks for the suggestions!

As for vehicles, yeah, they're a pain, but they seemed like such a natural fit for a Steampunk-ish environment. Plus, TBS games tend to shy away from these so we figured it could be a feather in our cap if we included 'em. As you said they complicate movement and collisions, especially in our 3D grid, so we're limiting trains, elevators, etc., to movement only along straight lines.

Wow, this looks promising!

Unit Variety - Many SRPGs have long relied on a combination of melee fighter, archer, mage, and priest serving as the pillars of all unit types. We'd like to break away from this format and make each class very unique in both appearance and function. The approach is closer to designing characters in fighting games than in tactics ones, and it encourages each one to have a unique play-style.

This is a bit old so maybe my comment doesn't apply anymore.

Sorry for the offtopic but this reminded of a very funny Dork Tower comic.

A fantasy gamer is invited by a friend to a tabletop historical wargame. The rest of the players seem themselves as superior, because "this is not like your elvish and flowery games, this was a real battle and you need real strategy to win, unlike fantasy games".

Then the fantasy gamer starts finding analogies ("Oh, light cavalry. Fast and weak, like... like elven fighters!. Then we have heavy infantry. Slow but sturdy, bad against cavalry, just like dwarves! And there's a piece of artillery which does massive area damage, but they have limited ammo, like a mage casting fireballs!!!" and so on. Well, I don't have the comic at hand so the analogies are inexact) and he and his friend are kicked out of the building to never return again.

Bottom line being, really original unit roles are very hard to find. Are you sure you are offering more than a new setting?

The described "Supplier" sounds a bit like some kind of mage, for example.

If you really managed to do that, kudos.

I think there's lots to offer in terms of combat that tactics games haven't explored all that much. While the mage/archer/melee archetypes are all well and good, there are other variables and nuances to consider as well.

For example, in fighting games, there are often multiple hard-hitting or fast characters, but how they close distances, the priorities of their attacks, how vulnerable their attacks leave them, etc. all contribute to a different feel for each one. With MOBAs, there's a greater focus on area-denial and short-term counters, and the environment plays a slightly different role to that of typical tactics games (ambushes, using towers for protection).

Based on the Dork Tower idea of a mage, I think the Supplier is actually a very different type of unit. First, he himself doesn't have any area-of-effect attacks, and his role is chiefly to provide ammo for others. In addition, he can activate some environmental objects from afar, so in that sense his utility is very map specific. The same goes for his pull-in mechanic which doesn't cause damage itself, but it can extract enemies from hiding spots and make it easier for the damage-burst units to do their thing.

Actually, the pull-in can also cause enemies to be dropped into bottomless pits, but those don't damage so much as instantly kill a unit.

Anyway, being a giant, armoured box he's quite sturdy, unlike a typical mage, and he becomes more of a direct threat if the battle is prolonged. Where as the mage might have ammo for his fireballs that evaporates with use, the Supplier can use the bodies that the rest of the team dispatches to launch damaging attacks. The bodies can't be stored as the attacks are used automatically after consuming one, and they're also limited by range considerations, i.e., where the body fell, but the potential for damage increases with use rather than the other way around. Oh, and when the Supplier dies he reverts to a box-shape that others can use to get to higher areas!

We've yet to implement all these units and abilities, though, let alone balance them, but I think we have enough ideas that should at least provide a different vibe to each unit type. However, it's the balancing itself -- while trying to keep the units distinct -- that I suspect will be the tricky part.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I wasn't comparing your Supplier to the Dork Tower idea of a mage, but to some kind of generic mage. I.e. it's weak, has some special abilities to attack from large distance, etc. Of course, the details vary from game to game, and even in some games, one mage can have far different abilities than other, like Diablo II and its ability tree.

Thinking of it, I can relate my concerns to Diablo II. Two characters, even of the same class, could have very different powers, and you needed to be very careful with your tactics, and take into account your long-term ability-developing strategy to get the most out of your character, but at the end it always became a clickfeast no matter what I did laugh.png. And that with just one character, if I had to manage more of them... tongue.png

Maybe I'm not a hardcore enough gamer to truly take advantage of all those tiny details.

Anyway, this looks really great, the art is amazing and the setting seems quite original, at the very least. Nice work!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement