What is this called?

Started by
6 comments, last by Valoon 9 years, 2 months ago

Hi all,

I'm writing my first few games using Unity's engine, and while it lends itself very well to 'action-y' elements, I struggle with the GUI components. More specifically, I'm looking for tutorials on the implementation of this form of dialogue box which displays an avatar and a box of text which the character is speaking, and waits for the player to press a button for it to move on to the next piece of dialogue.

Here's the question: what is this called? I need the name if I'm to find any tutorials

(sorry about the video quality, but it demonstrates what I'm looking for well enough)

Advertisement

A dialogue system? I am pretty sure you will find many third party ones on the asset store, though most probably not for free. Might still give you an idea what can be achieved with Unity.

I don't think Unity has a stock one out-of-the-box, though it ain't that hard to make your own. In the end its just a textbox, with an image, waiting for user input, to load the next chunk of text from a database or file.

I don't know about existing Unity UI libraries, but the best term I can think of for that is the video game equivalent of a "modal dialog box", where "modal" indicates that all interaction outside of the dialog box is disabled, and the only way to proceed is to interact with the dialog box in whatever limited ways it offers. Not sure if that term could help you find Unity- or gamedev-specific tutorials, but it might be worth a shot.

"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

"modal dialog box",

Chained modal windows might do the trick, but they generally are centered and mask the rest of the action (semi alph, blocker, etc.)

Thing is, most dialogue systems are very custom in essence, so it might be hard to get one.

What are you using for UI? Unity native or an external lib/plugin?

What are you using for UI? Unity native or an external lib/plugin?

I'd like to get nice and cozy with all of Unity's features before I start thinking about external libraries, so that'd be Unity native.

I heard the new version has changed a lot for UI management. It used to be a problem with Unity, but it's much smoother now.

Have you had a look at all of unity's video tutorials, they are really great to get you up to speed!

I haven't used Unity, but that dialogue shouldn't be hard to implement. Drawing a rectangle over current game images, draw the avatar, and blot out the text, with the only accepting input being the advance text button. On advancing, display the next text dialogue or close out the dialogue state.

Loved the Advance War series, by the way, and Intelligent Systems' other series, Fire Emblem.

It's pretty easy to code.

You use a panel with a text on top of it. Then you use an image for each character.

Then you make it dynamic with scripting. You say stuff like if player press whatever then text = this and image = that.

I don't know if it's the most cost effective method but it's easy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement