• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
quiSHADgho

DX11 Direct3D11 + Direct2D...working, but there are still issues

This topic is 1238 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I have a small issue with the interoperability between D3D11 and D2D. I mean not exactly between those two more with those and other programs like Afterburner, Fraps, OBS etc. But I will start at the very beginning.

When I ported my DX9 engine to DX11 (SharpDX) I got rid of all the Spritebatch stuff and implemented a D2D UI. I used Shared Surfaces for that and it is working. I have no issues with it. The only thing that was really strange about the engine was that Multi-GPU (Crossfire in my case) seemed not work although this is more of a driver "thing" and I can't really do anything about it.

So yesterday I had some time to dig into it. In one of my test projects crossfire was working fine so I added code from my engine to see where it would change. It was pretty easy to find. I was creating the texture with SharedKeyMutex flag. Like this:

this.d3d11Texture = new Texture2D(device, new Texture2DDescription()
            {
                Height = form.Height,
                Width = form.Width,
                MipLevels = 1,
                ArraySize = 1,
                Format = SharpDX.DXGI.Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm,
                SampleDescription = new SampleDescription(1, 0),
                Usage = ResourceUsage.Default,
                BindFlags = BindFlags.RenderTarget | BindFlags.ShaderResource,
                CpuAccessFlags = CpuAccessFlags.None, 
                OptionFlags = ResourceOptionFlags.SharedKeyedmutex
            });

SharpDX.Direct3D10.Device1 d3d10_device = new SharpDX.Direct3D10.Device1(factory.GetAdapter(0), SharpDX.Direct3D10.DeviceCreationFlags.BgraSupport, SharpDX.Direct3D10.FeatureLevel.Level_10_0);

SharpDX.DXGI.Resource sharedResource = d3d11Texture.QueryInterface<SharpDX.DXGI.Resource>();
            SharpDX.Direct3D10.Texture2D d3d10Texture = d3d10_device.OpenSharedResource<SharpDX.Direct3D10.Texture2D>(sharedResource.SharedHandle);

this.mutexd3d10 = d3d10Texture.QueryInterface<KeyedMutex>();
            this.mutexd3d11 = d3d11Texture.QueryInterface<KeyedMutex>();

Surface surface = d3d10Texture.AsSurface();

d2dFactory = new SharpDX.Direct2D1.Factory1();

d2dRenderTarget = new RenderTarget(d2dFactory, surface, 
             new RenderTargetProperties(RenderTargetType.Hardware, new PixelFormat(Format.Unknown, SharpDX.Direct2D1.AlphaMode.Premultiplied), 
              0, 0, RenderTargetUsage.None, SharpDX.Direct2D1.FeatureLevel.Level_10));

With this code and Crossfire enabled I have 100% load on the first GPU and 4% on the second while rendering the UI. When I disable the UI the second GPU goes to 0% load. So I had to get rid of the flag. This is what I came up with:

this.d3d11Texture = new Texture2D(device, new Texture2DDescription()
            {
                Height = form.Height,
                Width = form.Width,
                MipLevels = 1,
                ArraySize = 1,
                Format = SharpDX.DXGI.Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm,
                SampleDescription = new SampleDescription(1, 0),
                Usage = ResourceUsage.Default,
                BindFlags = BindFlags.RenderTarget | BindFlags.ShaderResource,
                CpuAccessFlags = CpuAccessFlags.None, 
                OptionFlags = ResourceOptionFlags.None
            });

d2dFactory = new SharpDX.Direct2D1.Factory1();
            Surface1 surface1 = d3d11Texture.QueryInterface<Surface1>();

d2dRenderTarget = new RenderTarget(d2dFactory, surface1, 
                new RenderTargetProperties(RenderTargetType.Hardware, new PixelFormat(Format.Unknown, SharpDX.Direct2D1.AlphaMode.Premultiplied), 
                 0, 0, RenderTargetUsage.None, SharpDX.Direct2D1.FeatureLevel.Level_10));

It works just fine and even Crossfire is working as expected....BUT now there are no overlays or video recordings possible. Afterburner or Fraps just show nothing and recording results in a black video.

The problem does not only happen when I actually use the RenderTarget. It is sufficient that it is created. So if I comment out the line where it is created I have the overlays back, Crossfire works and I can record videos but of course I cannot use the UI.

So what am I missing here?

And here are some infos you might wanna know:

SharpDX 2.5 and SharpDX 2.6.3 (tried both, same results)

Windows 7 x64 Prof

2x Radeon R290X / 2x Radeon 7870

Advertisement

Why don't you use directly D3d11_1?

I've no example, but using the .1, you don't need the d3d10 with shader mutex, so you can avoid this problem.

Search d3d11.1 d2d1.1 interop.

SharpDX 2.6.3 support this two version (you must play with the sharpdx.targets to enable this).

You need only to create the device with BGRASupport, and then use in d2d1.

I am actually using the Device1, Surface1, Factory1 etc. interfaces but I cannot enable FeatureLevel 11.1 because the Windows 7 driver only implements WDDM 1.1 and SharpDX tells me it needs WDDM 1.2 for FeatureLevel 11.1.

Nevertheless it is working as expected inside the application. Currently I am rendering directly on the backbuffer surface with D2D but almost every program I know and use that is providing an OSD or using hooks in one way or the other is not working. Even Intel GPA is failing to provide the OSD and it crashes most of the time.

I am also pretty sure RivaTuner Statistics Server is hooking up to the application because there is a significant difference on how long it takes for the application to close if its hooked up.

I also tested it on my Notebook which has a Nvidia card....no OSD.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!