Robotic race

Started by
15 comments, last by klefebz 8 years, 8 months ago

I look for some sort of robotic race for a 4X game. I want them to be at least a bit unusual, they should be hostile and dangerous, but they can't have a goal of galactic conquest. Generally, they could/should have some weird patterns of behaviour (like not taking some planets, being limited to a part of space, etc).

It's an NPC race so don't worry with victory conditions and things like that (they just live in the same galaxy the player lives).

I look for:

- overall description who they are and how they behave (and possibly why) [on strategic level]

- it's less important but if you have some gameplay mechanic (what they attack and why) that would fit them, post

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement
How about they are the machine slaves of a long dead culture.

Their creators died out millions of years ago and they just want to be left alone. They are extremely xenophobic, and require planets with certain properties to exist on, so they are very selective and it is rare for them to undergo an expansion.

They require planets with certain solar properties as they are solar powered converting solar energy into fusion.

If they feel threatened they attack with nanotechnology which is easily mistaken for a biological threat until it is too late. They view military action as a last resort and a waste of resources unless required to prevent extinction.

While they are able to create billions of nanites relatively quickly, these are generally unintelligent machines which just.reproduce until instructed to stop.
The AI machines lost the ability to create more of themselves when their creators died so they spend a large portion of their time examining their long lost homeworlds for clues about how to create more of themselves but bluntly, They are a slowly dying race unable to easily repair themselves or make new iterations of their form.

Each robot has a chess master like mind, and strong individuality, planning many thousands of moves ahead so their actions may seem unpredictable and strange but there is always an end game based upon cold, hard logic and analysis...

It just reminded me "Glitch" of Starbound ( http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Glitch ) , a robotic race ironically living in medieval age :)

Other than that their actions might be related to corruption of original "1544C 451MOV's three laws of robotics" dictating hostile actions for the survival of robot kind.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

I think a robotic society would want to inhabit a planet that's rife with raw materials for robot building, and they'd use departed citizens for spare parts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I look for some sort of robotic race for a 4X game. I want them to be at least a bit unusual, they should be hostile and dangerous, but they can't have a goal of galactic conquest. Generally, they could/should have some weird patterns of behaviour (like not taking some planets, being limited to a part of space, etc).

I think insects (real ones) will help you. For an unusual robotic appearance, just Google "unusual insects" images. For unusual behavior that is hostile and dangerous, stay with the insects. By that I mean consider what motivates an insect - search for specific resources (especially food/fuel), things needed for reproduction (certain kind of land, plants, minerals, etc), shelter/defense/compulsion to protect territory against intrusions.

Since these are robots, you could also consider another motive - a damaged or warped compulsion to "repair" everything... and humans break a lot of stuff, so....

Expanding on braindigitalis' idea: let the 'AI' be the only one who can upgrade a robotic colony, let it move around, and when the player attacks the colony the AI is on they will offer the planet in exchange for a safe retreat. Let the robots also evacuate some defenses(infantry,drones, ...) making them harder to conquer when they have fewer planets.

Let the robots also evacuate some defenses(infantry,drones, ...) making them harder to conquer when they have fewer planets.

Oh man, I used to HATE it when the starcraft AI did that. You'd think you'd defeated them and they'd sneak one unit out the back to build a whole base again within minutes.

What if the robots were low on resources that were used to build them.

Their only way of reproducing is to craft more of themselves, but since they are low on resource x, this is unfeasible, and in the last 100 years they have been using all of their last resources to sustain themselves. They have a lot of weaponry that in the past they used primarily for defense, but they are now motivated to go and use it to acquire those resources wherever they can in order to ensure their racial survival.

Unfortunately, what they need is an ore, which happens to exist most plentifully beneath the major cities on planets of some other races.

Then let's say that the resource is extraordinarily heavy and can only be moved short distances unless broken down which takes a ton of time and energy.

So every time they run out (last time they peacefully took this current planet, which had been empty) they up and move to the new place (and currently in full military force).

So why can't they negotiate at all? Sure they need something the natives of the cities can't give up, but why no communication?

Simple. They can't talk. Their form of communication in neural and only on a frequency that one another can pick up, so they would need to learn another language from scratch and still then be mute.

Strategically: From a native (human or otherwise) perspective, these robots are attacking without proper declarations of war (think pearl harbor, ignoring the attempt to send one that failed-- more the backlash) and hitting target cities/planets where there are loads of civilians but do not appear to have massive strategic value.

(The humans don't know about the ore).

This would give them an odd strike pattern and seemingly unintelligent migratory patterns that have perfectly logical yet incommunicable reasons that would alter gameplay accordingly.

So what you are not looking for is The Borg, but an interesting way to go would be this. Hostile robots who only favor alien races and not humans and vice versa. Then there could be robots fighting robots for various purposes. Another would be robots with strict moral codes for others, and they become aggressive when they see people breaking the rules. I will get back to you on this, as it is interesting.

So what you are not looking for is The Borg
Not necessarily, but yes. The Borg would be fine :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement