Unreal Engine 4 vs. Unity 5: 2D Game Tutorial Series

Started by
4 comments, last by UgaBugaUgaBuga 8 years, 8 months ago

EDIT: Table of Contents is now live.

I've started a new project over at GameFromScratch.com I figured some of you might be interested in.

Basically I am going to document the process of creating a complete game from scratch using the Unreal Engine, in extreme detail, in both text and video format. Then I am going to start over and do the exact same thing in Unity instead. When I am done I will ideally have two completely beginner friendly tutorial series covering two of the most popular game engines, but more importantly, I will have one of the most direct workflow comparisons available. This means people asking "which should I use, Unity or Unreal", will be able to quickly browse through both series and decide which workflow fits them best.

I was going to do them in parallel... a Unreal tutorial, a Unity, tutorial, an Unreal tutorial, etc... but this got really confusing for me right away. So instead I have started with Unreal 5. I intend to cover all aspects of a 2D game, cumulating in a complete simple 2D game. I will then start all over and do it again in Unreal. Finally I will probably do a quick series on Unreal Engine using C++ instead of Blueprints. FYI, it will take a while...

Right now I've started with the Unreal Engine tutorials, and am far enough along that I think the results are useful for someone looking to learn Unreal Engine. My understanding is, 2D and text based tutorials are pretty scarce, so hopefully this stuff will be immediately useful.

Right now the series consist of:

Videos:

Text:

I am fairly early on in the series, so any feedback you have right now can certainly impact the development of the series. Let me know what you think!

Advertisement

Added a couple new tutorials:

Videos:

Unreal vs Unity Tutorial Series: Unreal Engine Part Two - Sprites and Sprite (Flipbook) Animations

Text:

Unreal Engine Tutorial Part Three: Sprites
Unreal Engine Tutorial Part Four: Sprite Animation (Flipbooks)

Series now has a homepage, so start there.

Added the text tutorials:

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2015/05/29/Unreal-Engine-Tutorial-Part-Five-Pawns-Character-Controllers-and-Handling-Input.aspx

and

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2015/06/01/Unreal-Engine-Tutorial-Part-Six-Using-Tilesets-and-Tilemaps.aspx

Also the video:

Added Part 7: Creating a UI using Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG) Framework, video soon, then sound.

Added Part 8: Playing Audio, also created the video for part 7 available here. Also have a playlist for the video tutorials. Video version of Audio tutorial coming soon.

Hey uhm when are you going to do the c++? can you do it side by side? I am mainly interested on unreal c++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement