• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shashwatsher

How to stiffly attach 2 objects together using btHingeConstraint in Bullet Physics

This topic is 1339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys

I am building a car game with help of bullet physics and need help regarding a specific functionality.
I have attached a Canon to my car to shoot bullets. Actually my car body and the canon are two separate rigidbody objects attached using btHingeConstraint ( there is a reason why i have done that instead of using compoundshape). The canon is at right position and the shooting is also working perfectly. 
The problem happens when my car collides with a building. At this moment my canon dislodges from the car. Is there a way I can make canon stiffly bound tho the car using hingeconstarint only? I read bout CFM and ERP but they prove to be of no use. Here is a sample code -
                btVector3 cyl_coord = btVector3(0.5, 1, 1);
                btCollisionShape* suppShape = new btCylinderShapeZ(cyl_coord);
suppLocalTrans.setIdentity();
                suppLocalTrans.setOrigin(m_cameraPosition);
                m_canon = localCreateRigidBody(1,suppLocalTrans, suppShape); // Canon added to car

btTransform localC, localD;
localC.setIdentity();
localD.setIdentity();
localC.getBasis().setEulerZYX(0, M_PI_2, 0);
localC.setOrigin(btVector3(0.0, 0.2, 1.05));
localD.getBasis().setEulerZYX(0, M_PI_2, 0);
                localD.setOrigin(btVector3(0.0, -1.5, -1.05));
m_liftHinge = new btHingeConstraint(*m_carChassis,*m_canon, localC, localD);// Creating the constraint
m_liftHinge->setLimit(0.0f, 0.0f);
                m_liftHinge->setParam( BT_CONSTRAINT_STOP_CFM, 0, -1);
m_dynamicsWorld->addConstraint(m_liftHinge, true);

Can any one help with this.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!