Remaking Mario 64 from scratch, how long?

Started by
23 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years ago

Maybe a bit off topic, but I would definately be willing to pay a few bucks for a good remake. Unfortunately nintendo and the world of law and all non-shared interests wont let this happen. Memories about the introduction are always good to remember smile.png

Dude, what are you talking about? They gave you the remake on the DS a couple years ago. You can play the original in Virtual Console. Nintendo has not abandoned that property.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

Time estimation for project is often quite hard and I have experienced (myself and of others) miscalculation of 2x, 3x or larger when the team estimated for themselves using detailed specifications for far smaller scope projects.

Now you are asking us to estimate using no written project specification and no knowledge or your skills. Man... this just can't be accurate smile.png

Believe me - YOU are the best person to tell how long it could take. If you have no idea *now*, then split it to smaller parts and start coding. As you progress you should get better idea how long it can take.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I would definately be willing to pay a few bucks for a good remake. Unfortunately nintendo and the world of law and all non-shared interests wont let this happen. Memories about the introduction are always good to remember smile.png

Dude, what are you talking about? They gave you the remake on the DS a couple years ago. You can play the original in Virtual Console. Nintendo has not abandoned that property.

For the PC I only now the emulator version which doesn't like quite well

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

The amount of assets comprising the game is pretty gigantic, though.

Quantity is an issue, but the low fidelity of the old assets and better tools of today can certainly save some time -- plus the design and tweaking is already done if we're talking about a literal clone, so no iterations. Its way easier to get where you're going when you know exactly where that is.

All of that said, if we're not talking about the kind of clone that Nintendo's gonna shut down, and you're talking about a new project of similar design, scope, and execution you're back at square one, where low-fi assets save you some, but not bucket-loads of, time.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

2 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

10 years of hardcore work, 16 hours per day?

"hardcore work"? I don't remember anything like that in Mario 64. It was very family-friendly.

It will take about this long, note not to scale smile.png Start |------------------------------------------| End

Just trying to show that the reality for software is that the bigger a project the harder it is to determine time. So many factors come into play

Everyone seems to be side stepping and/or ignoring the elephant in the room, so...

Let's say it takes you two years to make a Mario 64 clone. Then what do you do? You can't share your work here or anywhere else. Nintendo defends their IP with a religious fervor. At best, you'll get a nice cease and desist letter from their attorneys. At worst, you'll find yourself in court on a case you will most definitely lose.

Come up with your own idea and start. You're done when you get done.

I am not really bothering with the elephant because I don't believe that the OP will even start this project, let alone carry it out. It sounds like a hypothetical question. ;)

I mean: who can reserve 10 years, or even 2 years, for a project like this? Real Life is sure to come along and mess it all up. And you gotta eat and have a place to crash, and you need electricity for the computer..

Too many projects; too much time

Mmm, you guys are replying to someone named Onequestiononly2, with 1 post. Smells of troll.

Silly question by the way.

I am not really bothering with the elephant because I don't believe that the OP will even start this project, let alone carry it out. It sounds like a hypothetical question. ;)

I mean: who can reserve 10 years, or even 2 years, for a project like this? Real Life is sure to come along and mess it all up. And you gotta eat and have a place to crash, and you need electricity for the computer..

Mmm, you guys are replying to someone named Onequestiononly2, with 1 post. Smells of troll.

Silly question by the way.

I know I am more than a little naive, but I don't immediately assume that posts like this are the work of a troll. To me, this seems like a kid, probably in their teens, that has made a few simple games and thinks that they can totally take on a project like this. Not going to happen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement