Instaled DX8.1 (now Uninstallable) and once again, projects dont work

Started by
11 comments, last by DeltaVee 22 years, 5 months ago
[rant] It seems to me the only projects that work from on version to the next are Microsoft''s own. Why? Because they don''t do anything other than ''demo'' one feature. I have numerous projects in excess of 100,000 lines (one project ported from DX7 to DX8), that when compiled against DX8.1 Just don''t work properly . They compile cleanly but then a) blow up or b) work but leave artifacts all over the screen. Now I have to spend hours if not days, figuring which f&^%ing flag has changed or works differently or needs another flag set. Like many people here, my time is limited. SO BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DX8.1 CANNOT BE UNINSTALLED, it is now a system component. [/rant] *goes to download OpenGL and opens a beer* D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
This is why I use OpenGL... haven''t had a problem like that yet... everything works as advertised, in every version.

Billy
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
This is why I use OpenGL... haven''t had a problem like that yet... everything works as advertised, in every version.

Billy

Heh, I wish it was that easy... For the first month of using OpenGL, it would simply keep a portion of the screen from refreshing, but never pop up a window... and then, when I finally made the window work (I swear the code was the same) triangles refused to display.

Maybe Java OpenGL works better?
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
That''s why I''m switching to console programming and gaming (and selling my desktop for a laptop.)

I wanna work for Microsoft!
You can too uninstall DX 8.1, just go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and choose "Direct X 8.1 SDK" then click the uninstall button. Works for me at least (on Win98 SE).
First of all, you probably didn''t read the release notes that said you "HAVE TO UNINSTALL DIRECT X 8" prior to installing DirectX 8.1 and that if you don''t do that you may run into problems.

Second, I recompiled my whole game engine that was written for DirectX 8.0 with my brand new, freshly installed DirectX 8.1, and guess what? No problems at all. No flags changed. Everything is working just fine for me.

Tip of the day: Take the time to read some readme files and eventual release notes to see what you should do. Do not just install things and presume everything will be ok. And try not to drink too much beer while programming, that may also be one of your problems. Alcohol and driving don''t mix, neither do alcohol and programming

-Benny-
-Benny-
I uninstalled directx 8, installed 8.1, and suddenly all of my index meshes wouldn''t render. I finally guessed it was because I was using 32bit indices, and I changed it to 16bit and it worked fine. 32bit was never supported on my card to begin with, but still it worked in version 8, but not 8.1. It would be nice if they documented these changes. On the otherhand, 8.1 fixed a texture problem I had.
I cannot say where in the documentation I read it, but I read that 32 bits indices are not supported in DX 8.0. So, it is documented. If you have the old SDK documentation installed check CreateIndexBuffer out, maybe that''s where I read it. Anyways, it''s in the documentation

-Benny-
-Benny-
1. I did uninstall DX8.
2. You can uninstall the SDK, NOT the DX8.1 components.
3. My stencil buffer(s) are failing.
4. The post was a *rant* ( ) and a ''heads up'' ( ).
5. If it worked cleanly for you, good for you, you will miss out on the frustration of debugging your code for the millionth time.

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Has D3DXSprite been affected by the new DX8.1 SDK?
I have had a report that it crashes when using the 8.1 SDK.

If someone has some spare time, please download my D3DXSprite wrapper (its about 600K) and recompile it. (I''d do it myself but my Internet connection is unstable for huge downloads) Thanks.

Downloads, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

Downloads, Free GoldLib game library, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement