• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What game engine is best for a sandbox open-world game?

This topic is 1002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm programming an open-world sandbox game but I need some sort of good game engine. I need a game engine that can support a lot of blocks 3D models, and also handle animations and meanwhile add HD graphics. Most of my textures are 32x32, but water, sky, and more are higher. I only have a team of a handful (TBH, I have 3) programmers with some experience. 

I'm leaning towards Java/LWJGL because I know the code most, but Unreal's graphics are really cool. Unity, although it's easy to learn, is one of the worst game engines for programming an open world game.

Not sure about rendering, I'd say OpenGL.

BTW, my game is NOT a minecraft clone.

Edited by SandboxCoder

Advertisement
Only because I see the term sandbox. You'll be better off building a game engine yourself. Most of the engines currently availible aren't optimized for what you are probably thinking of. If you're doing something like minecraft, it's not too hard.

If it's something like Arma or Far Cry, don't bother.

in a recent thread, i mentioned that unity doesn't seem to have built-in support for large continuous worlds with no load screens.

someone replied that one of the other engines apparently does. i think it was the unreal engine, or maybe the CRY engine, can't recall.

i'm currently working on three large continuous world titles, and am planning two more after those. so engines for large continuous worlds is a topic of continuing interest to me.

but the fact is, i've gotten far enough along in the first title that i now have the in-house library/engine/code necessary to just do all five with no third party engine - but not necessarily with all the whiz-bang stuff some engines can do.

Edited by Norman Barrows

in a recent thread, i mentioned that unity doesn't seem to have built-in support for large continuous worlds with no load screens.

someone replied that one of the other engines apparently does. i think it was the unreal engine, or maybe the CRY engine, can't recall.

i'm currently working on three large continuous world titles, and am planning two more after those. so engines for large continuous worlds is a topic of continuing interest to me.

but the fact is, i've gotten far enough along in the first title that i now have the in-house library/engine/code necessary to just do all five with no third party engine - but not necessarily with all the whiz-bang stuff some engines can do.

Well, Unity does have LoadLevelAdditiveAsyc which is a foundation for streaming levels continuously (plus some of the Pro features to help with this are now free in 5). Unreal has level streaming. It's not that there's no support. It's that the real question is what kind of data loading does a particular game actually need.

Edited by ikarth

I'm using unreal engine 4 to create an open world role-playing game. I chose it because it has level streaming and large map capabilities plus terrain editing out of the box at no extra cost amongst other things.

Evaluate it amongst other things and find something that works well for you...

Oh yeah... there is the Cryengine, but you need to pay monthly for it. And you don't get all of the source code.

Unreal Engine might be able to do it. But you might have to add the feature yourself.

Unreal Engine might be able to do it. But you might have to add the feature yourself.

Nah everything you need is generally built in :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement