Game Design Doc Help for a Horror Themed Game

Started by
5 comments, last by KitsuneRakote 8 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I have been looking for an active, friendly forum group, who could help me with some issues I am currently facing, in regards designing both a game design document and even help build up an idea for images, or mood board for an art bible.

I have some ideas on some game mechanics and features that I will add to my desired game, but they are limited… What I'm after is some features to help make the game memorable.

I am after mechanics or ideas that not only get the player thinking, but to create the unwanted feeling that something is ether just around the corner and they need to get the task done so that they can get out of the area as fast as they can. I'm not after scenes or moments where something chases you, I am more after tasks that ether gets the player to collect certain key items to create an item to advance, to activate machines or events and even moments in the game where the player interacts with the world environment (such as climbing or avoiding debris while in a dilapidated building).

I can’t seem to fill out my design document with the required details to help portray the feel of the game to those who read it.

I have reviewed some horror games already (both Indie and AAA) to help get some inspiration and a few games have helped, however, I feel help from forums might help with my issue.

Kind Regards to those who review my topic and wish to help.

PS: I do hope I placed this request in the correct forum topic (I don’t use forums often).

Advertisement

First of all, welcome to the forum! ^_^

Regarding your game, you indicate that it's in the horror genre, but would you please elaborate a little on your setting, and on what sort of horror you're trying to create? A clearer impression of your game might help us to make suggestions that work with it.

I am after mechanics or ideas that not only get the player thinking, but to create the unwanted feeling that something is ether just around the corner and they need to get the task done so that they can get out of the area as fast as they can. I'm not after scenes or moments where something chases you, I am more after tasks that ether gets the player to collect certain key items to create an item to advance, to activate machines or events and even moments in the game where the player interacts with the world environment (such as climbing or avoiding debris while in a dilapidated building).

Hmm... I'm not entirely clear on what you're looking for: do you want mechanics that place actual time-pressure on the player, but simply want to avoid the specific pressure of a hunting monster, or do you want cues that give the player the impression of time-pressure?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

My apologies, I re-read my forum post as well and I think I might of need another coffee before fully posting the message.

The game is set modern time, with the focus of "genetic research" and the thought of man playing god. The character you play as has is a detective, with a story revolving around the search of missing people and murder cases that he finds during the searches.

For the initial story, the game takes the player through multiple environments, they include: forest, small village, dilapidated train depot and a slaughter mill.

I have the details of the creature that pretty much haunts the player, but what I am lacking at this point in time are features that get the player interacting with the level itself. whether its by moving objects to gain access to certain areas, navigating through dangerous zones that would possibly collapse due to erosion and/or time, to finding items to power up a machine via puzzles.

I hope this reply helps in regards my errr... "first comment", as I clearly see I did leave out some important information...

Kind Regards =)

Just to comment on a single game component that can instill a sense of anxiety/fear is a intentional use of sounds and music to create the desired moods. There are some games out there that get you on the edge of your seat just be the emotions the sounds (or lack thereof ) coupled with the environment context.

This might help get the feel across with requiring intense action sequences.

Love the tampering with genetics theme. Some creepy stuff indeed

Eddie Daniels

Founder

http://gamescrye.com/

[twitter]gamescrye[/twitter]

Ah yes, I have taken some notes from some games that have included type of audio/sound during game play, as well as the mood and colour schemes too. I will note your comment down Gamescrye, as it does help with my issue =)

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your help.

My apologies, I re-read my forum post as well and I think I might of need another coffee before fully posting the message.

Ah, thank you for the clarification! happy.png

Hmm... Well, I'm not sure about tasks that inherently put pressure on the player to move forward, save occasional things like impending mine cave-ins or disintegrating machinery. However, the desired effect might arise from a combination of tasks and pressures: from the player being in a position in which they have a task to complete (whatever that may be), but with external pressures urging them forwards. These pressures could come from having little time--such as if the monster is breaking through whatever barrier stands between them--or simple atmospheric elements leaving the player uncomfortable where they are. One possibility might be to have the player knowingly go somewhere that they'd rather not--into a dark hallway, or a slaughtering ground, or the last known location of the monster, or a place that they know to be haunted, etc.

Just to comment on a single game component that can instill a sense of anxiety/fear is a intentional use of sounds and music to create the desired moods.

This was something that I had in mind, too, I believe--hence my asking whether you wanted actual pressure to move on or simply the impression of such pressure. Used sparingly, appropriate audio cues can, I believe, be very unsettling, or leave the player feeling that there are might be danger close by. Of course, when overused the player may acclimatise to them, especially once it becomes apparent that they don't correspond to an actual threat (although the latter can perhaps in turn be undermined by having them occasionally be coupled with an actual threat).

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Awesome, thanks Thaumaturge, you're comment has given me some ideas on how I could make my game "Stand out from the crowd". Or at lease I hope...

If I have any other issues in the future, I know that I have this form to fall back on to request some help. Thanks guys =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement