Windows 10 upgrade causes degraded visuals and lower performance in XNA game

Started by
5 comments, last by Infinisearch 8 years, 8 months ago

I am working on an XNA game and I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. To my dismay, the graphics have deteriorated a bit, the models look blockier especially around the edges. Also, the framerate is a lot lower when I run the game in Debug mode (I am using Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop).

Does anyone have similar experiences?

BTW, I am using this version of XNA: https://mxa.codeplex.com/releases

I just ran the published game outside the debug environment and the same degraded visuals are there... could it be a driver issue?

Advertisement

Check what videocard driver you've installed first, when I installed the win10 update it put me back to a default vga driver instead of one for my videocard. Running windows update (settings of the start menu) installed the proper win10 drivers.

edit - also check what resolution your monitor is set to.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Well, that was unexpected - I was actually able to - for the first time - increase the resolution from 1920 * 1080 to 1920 * 1200, which means the black letterbox bars on my screen have disappeared. Cool!

It seems the drivers are up to date, but the graphics issues are still there, as well as the performance problems.

Still struggling with this... what makes it harder is that the DirectX 9 debug version is no longer accessible, or its debug output cannot be enabled from the DirectX control panel anymore. Also, the old tools like PIX are now coupled to the full versions of Visual Studio.

See how blurry the model looks:

zkmxia.png

2f08w3c.png

It appears there is a sampling issue in Windows 10 that was not there before.

Below, I have taken a screenshot from the game and overlaid the actual sprite on top. In Win 10, the sampling is wrong, most easily seen along the diagonal edge of tail fin.

Windows 10:

n5htp4.png

Before:

2i8u154.png

Any ideas?

I found the answer. During upgrading, apparently the game had been switched to using the Intel graphics chips instead of the NVidia card. After I found the control panel and switched it back, the errors and lag disappeared.

Oh you have a laptop, should've mentioned that.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement