Alternative to Unity (for learning purposes)

Started by
10 comments, last by tiggus 8 years, 4 months ago
You can try Xenko (http://xenko.com), which is a C# engine. Disclaimer: I'm working in the Xenko's team.

Like Godot or Unreal, you can see the code source of the engine (on GitHub for all three). If your goal is to learn the inside of a game engine, then I think that both these three engines will give you plenty (maybe a bit too much) information about it.

Godot might be easier to start with though. But it might also be easy for you with Xenko, giving that you work a lot with Unity and both engines use C#. UE4 is an awesome and very complete engine, but because of that it might also be the hardest to learn from especially if you want to take a look at their source code.
Tool developer at Silicon Studio, Japan. Working on the Xenko engine.
Advertisement

I've been disenchanted with Unity(for no real particular reason) for the last year and exploring lots of different ways to make tilemap games and oddly enough I ended up with C++ and SDL2 scratching that itch I had. I think it helped that I hadn't even looked at C++ for 10+ years and I approached it from scratch and learned the new "modern" C++ 11 way of doing things.

It's weird but it appeals to me more than all these new languages I spent a considerable chunk of time playing with this year like Go and Rust, we'll see if it lasts. I'm learning how to embed Lua for the scripting and high level logic portion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement