Ok, this just sucks. Memory Problem with OGL

Started by
10 comments, last by Nibbles 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi, For the past few weeks every time I run a OpenGL app (using any of NeHe''s basecodes) Memory get sucked up. My computer has 512 MB and is running Windows 2000 Sp2,and using the news NVidia Drivers for my Geforce2 MX400 64MB. For example (just a rotating triangle, with no texture loading or anything like that using NeHeGL (basecode I), before I ran anything I had 97 MB in use, then after I ran the program, the memory usage went up to 130, then I ran it again and it was at 135ish, and again 140is and so on. It continues to do this until it gets to about 250-260 and then starts giving errors about not having enough memory to continue. Windows basically stops running an apps. If anybody has had this problem, Please! let me know, it''s very annoying. Thanks, scott ------------------------------------------------------------ Email Website
"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." ------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement
It''s the NVidia drivers, they spew memory. I had the same problem (with all OpenGL programs) until I downgraded to 14.70 from the newest ''XP'' NVidia drivers. I''ve told SO many people about this, why doesn''t the word get around?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Null and Void ...

Have you posted this in the opengl.org advanced forum? You''ll probably get a response from mcraighead (from nvidia) - they actively try to fix these problems!
Yeah, I had the same problem then, but when they release the newest drivers, the problem was supposed to be fixed. They made no difference.

------------------------------------------------------------
Email
Website

"If you try and don''t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."
------------------------------------------------------------
update your chipset drivers, that is how i fixed it on a non-intel board. Shouldn''t have this problem with an intel board. Btw i believe it is the VIA1in4 drivers, also a quick BIOS update might be needed as well. What was happening on my computer (A-bit KT7-RAID) was when i ran any sort of OGL or DX app, the memory would get allocated but never released which required me to reboot. Doing what I mentioned at the beginning was how I fixed this problem.

Hope this helps ya cause it was p1ssing me off big time
KT7 - RAID?

Sorry if this is TOTALLY off topic ...

But I'm about to get a new system, XP1900+ with the KT7 - is this a good motherboard in your view? The reviews indicate so, but we all know that reviews are conducted in a sterile environment!

Regards

Edited by - Shag on November 14, 2001 9:23:55 PM
I haven''t even bothered to try their newer drivers. They didn''t work on my old board (some ASUS board with an ALi chipset, with the newest drivers for the AGP chipset) and I doubt they''ll work on my new one (ABit KG7) any better. The 14.70 drivers still work fine for me, I''m sticking with them for at least a couple more monthes before I''ll give an updated set another try.

Such a wide spread slip up in testing really is annoying (I''ve had to tell 15+ people about the memory leakage problems, and downgrading their drivers worked for almost all of them). The main reason I bought an NVidia card was due to quality drivers (and their Linux support , but I think that falls under drivers).

Well, anyway, hope you can fix your problems .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
yeah, thanks Void, I posted something similar a few weeks ago, and you posted saying you had the same problem. I emailed Nvidia and they said that it would be fixed in the new update. looks like i''m gonna downgrade my drivers after all.

Thanks,
Scott
Ive been running the Detonator XP drivers since they were released, and have had no problems whatsoever with them. The speed increase with them wasnt too great, but it was there. No memory issues like youve described have come up.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Are you running an AMD or Intel?

Mine is a P3 866

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement