BBC Gamechangers

Started by
7 comments, last by Buster2000 8 years, 7 months ago

So did anybody watch this. Looked pretty bad to me. Some of it was totally hammed up. The writer obviously has no clue about what happens inside a games studio or indeed real life for that matter. If anybody was as obnoxious as Daniel Radcliffe was playing Sam Houser then he would have got the crap beaten out of him by his own staff.

Advertisement

Me and my friends have been listening to death metal for >10 years, playing violent games >15 and still I think I'm not even close to killing.

Maybe that's because my parents paid attention to my education and perception of the world and maybe because I had responsibilities (dictated by them).

Games don't kill people, stupid parents do.? ?

Personally, I've never really felt much for the GTA series, but this film had me drawn in right from the start. It shows both sides of the debate and their views but without actually taking sides.

I actually believe that games DO have an effect on the player, and enough to influence their actions in the real world. It depends on the connection between the player and the game. When I'm in the day job, I'm Alpha One from Tie Fighter. When working out, I'm Samus Aran from Metroid. When I'm doing my finances and "empire building" I am the Mayer of a city in SimCity 2000. About 80% of all other games have little meaning for me.

Should games be banned? No. On the other hand, having lived through a golden era of computers ranging from the ZX Spectrum to todays PC gaming rigs with triple graphic card setups, things have increasingly become more "real". Gut feeling tells me we are in an age of discovery - that we might be letting the genie out of the bottle...or walking into a world that allows us to be our true selves we cannot show so easily in real, daily life.

And thats what this film does best; in equal measure it shows the promise of the human mind to push new boundries, but also to keep in check if it goes too far. In the words of Dr Angelo from The LawnMower Man...

"If we can embrace wisdom instead of ignorance, this technology can free the mind of man...not enslave it."

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

I wasn't really bothered about the whole games kill, Jack Thompson part of the film. Thats been reported on and discussed to death.
What really pissed me off about this dramatisation was the lack of knowledge about how anything gets done in the games industry. This film was to the games industry the same as CSI is to forensic science. They could have at least done a little research into what goes on inside a large games company.

They could have at least done a little research into what goes on inside a large games company.

Yeah, but that would have been bloody boring... Would you really want to watch something about a realistic software development meeting?

"So has anyone had a chance to look at that blocker ticket, err, ticket 438."

"You mean ticket 483? The one about the AI tripping out and walking away from the target and getting lost?"

"Yeah, that one. I assigned that over to Matt, but never heard anything back."

"Oh, Matt kicked that one over to me since he is out dealing with the new baby. Poked around at it for a bit yesterday afternoon, and so far all I got is that target vector is being generated as the negative of what we're expecting. All the code looks good, but I can't figure out why that is flipping like that, so I was wondering if I could steal bill for the rest of the day and dig into that some more."

*Insert random exchange of fire from nerf guns here, boss yelling at everyone to stop, then popping a few shots of his own off when their guard is down*

In general, real world work is boring in any field, that is why it is work and not something we're all rushing out to do for fun.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

They could have at least done a little research into what goes on inside a large games company.

Yeah, but that would have been bloody boring... Would you really want to watch something about a realistic software development meeting?

"You mean ticket 483? The one about the AI tripping out and walking away from the target and getting lost?"

"Oh, Matt kicked that one over to me since he is out dealing with the new baby. Poked around at it for a bit yesterday afternoon, and so far all I got is that target vector is being generated as the negative of what we're expecting. All the code looks good, but I can't figure out why that is flipping like that, so I was wondering if I could steal bill for the rest of the day and dig into that some more."

*Insert random exchange of fire from nerf guns here, boss yelling at everyone to stop, then popping a few shots of his own off when their guard is down*

In general, real world work is boring in any field, that is why it is work and not something we're all rushing out to do for fun.

Actually thats how they did make it look but also they basically made it look like GTA San Andreas was developed by a team of 5 people overnight and that the source code was given away publicly.

I'm not saying they need to film ever scrum meeting or film a user interface guy repeatedly moving an element 5px left then back 4px to the right for a whole week but, they could have at least made it seem like they knew what they were doing. There was even a case of "we need a new engine".....next day"....so this is the new engine that we just wrote".

Making a comedy of something like that is one thing, but it was my understanding that Gamechangers was supposed to be kind of the opposite... I would really like to see someone present a series of scenes about developing pretty much anything in the real world software or engineering wise in a way that was factual, understandable by people who have zero clue what actually goes on in such an environment, and still interesting.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Making a comedy of something like that is one thing, but it was my understanding that Gamechangers was supposed to be kind of the opposite... I would really like to see someone present a series of scenes about developing pretty much anything in the real world software or engineering wise in a way that was factual, understandable by people who have zero clue what actually goes on in such an environment, and still interesting.

Actually I have worked in several startups and Silicon Valley is very close to how these companies actually work. Even the comedy elements are really close to the things that some people I've worked with. Silicone Valley is factually accurate.

Heres the problem Sillicon Valley is supposed to be a satire making fun of software development but manages to be realistic whilst the BBCs game changers which is supposed to be realistic is so far removed from the actual subject matter.

I'm not particularly talking about software engineering either. Yes showing a programmer sat there staring at a screen wouldn't make a really good dramatisation but it was the whole thing. Even just having a few more people in the office working away in the background would have made it a little more realistic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement