Game Development Laptop

Started by
29 comments, last by Ravyne 8 years, 7 months ago

1) Why a laptop?

Do you plan to lug it around a lot (in this case get alight and small machine, which means sacrificing a lot of performance)?

Do you plan to work at different places around the house (In this case get a desktop replacement laptop, which means less sacrifice on performance, but a big and heavy machine you do not want to throw in your backpack)?

Do you plan to not move the machine from your desk and want to get a laptop just-in-case (in this case get a desktop, get full performance and save a lot of money)?

2) What are the performance requirements?

Do you want to build and test 2D casual games (in which case ANY machine will do most probably)?

Do you plan to do smaller, less complex 3D games (in which case you might want to get a discrete graphics card and not rely on an iGPU in the CPU)?

Do you want the biggest, fattest 3D Power you can get for Full HD (In which case you should start with a GTX 960 or R8 380 equivalent card)?

Do you want 4k at full details (in which case you need to plonk down 750$ just to game at 30 FPS today smile.png )?

3) Forget about "does not overheat"... the only laptop that doesn't overheat is one without a dedicated GPU. Now, this is grossly oversimplified, there are better GPUs in this regard than others (generally the smaller GPUs seem to fare better), but generally ALL dedicated Laptop GPUs seem to throttle to some degree. Throttling is only happening when the components start to overheat.

To give a little perspective: picking out one of the more attractive mobile GPUs (and actually one of the most powerful), the GTX970m, this card should actually beat a GTX960 (non-mobile) on paper. 256 more CUDA cores, more VRAM, more memory bandwidth. The lower clocks bring the card quite close to the GTX960 non-mobile again, but it should still be very hard for the non-mobile 2,3 TFLOPS card to flatout beat the 2.7 TFLOPS mobile card.

Yet if you look at benchmark websites, you see the GTX970m getting DESTROYED by the GTX960. With a 20% lead by the non-mobile card in some cases.

Now how can that be? There is only one explanation: throttling! The GTX970m must be constantly underclock because the cramped laptop cases just do not have the airflow. And given that these benchmark results get aggregated from thousands of benchmark results from a wide range of laptops, and yet the result is still so clear can only mean that most of the laptops equipped with GTX970m must be throttling to some degree.

Now this is just a single card from many, and a benchmark is hardly a realworld test. But it does indicate that laptop cases in general still are not up to the task of cooling all the heat the internal components can generate under full load.

My personal recommendation would be to really think long and hard if you NEED a laptop. You pay for the PC, the Keyboard, Mouse and Screen that are built into a laptop, AND a Premium for laptop components on top of that.

If you go for 3D gaming grade components, expect a 2000 bucks laptop to struggle to keep up with a self-built 750$ desktop. You might see a laptop with similar speed for 1300$, but then you will most probably have to compromise on screen and build quality).

That calculation changes of course if you also need a new screen, keyboard and mouse, but given that working with a touchpad is hardy ideal you will need to get a mouse anyway, and even though most gaming grade laptops have quite good chiclet keyboards, you might want to upgrade on that depending on your taste. That leaves the screen, but let me assure you, laptops with good screens are actually much more expensive than the ones with the crappy ones.

A Desktop will always give you more power for less money, leaving you with better upgrade possibilities down the road, and a more ergonomic work environment if you are happy to not be able to lug your rig around.

As for the OS selection... Mac OS if you want to develop for Mac/iOS exclusively (you need a test machine as close to your final target system as possible in the end), Windows for all other cases.

At the moment Windows is still THE Platform for PC gaming. You might also be able to make a Linux environment work, but prepare to invest more time into setting things up and finding tools that actually work on linux (or inside Wine, for that matter).

Why are all "professional" / "corporate" marketed laptops dual-core processors? And expensive as hell for crappier hardware? Something like Asus Zenbook which is marketed more as a "gaming" laptop is both cheaper and outperforms many "professional" laptops...

Generally everything with "business", "professional" or a similar monicker slapped on is a rip off. Big companies are able to pay big bucks for hard- and software, and if you need something for work, you are ready to pay more for it (hence the fantasy prices charged for the Quadro cards from Nvidia for example... same hardware as in the GTX range (save the ECC VRAM), different drivers = 5 times the Price... right, makes sense).

If I may guess though, the gaming laptops are to this day generally biggers and heavier than other laptops... companies start to sell ultrabooks as business hardware (some business people really start using iPads for work... now that is always a sight to behold (Masochists :) ))

Advertisement

If you want to program in bed :) , I suppose you could get a really simple laptop and VPN into your desktop.

Here is my technical background info.

If you have the money, I would recommend a MacBook Pro. Not because they are particularly fantastic but because they can run Mac OS X. This means you can then test your code on pretty much every desktop platform without dealing with dodgy hacks to get it to run on a non-Apple hardware. Generally iPhone development via Xcode and compiling can only really be done on Mac OS X too. And unless you are dealing with Unity (which stupidly doesn't output iOS x86 binaries for the official simulator), the iPhone simulator is really handy (no faffing about with developer licenses, provisioning profiles and other types of DRM.

If you want to test your code on Linux or *BSD (even if you don't intend to support these platforms, it is still great for checking code quality / testing). I highly recommend a 2009 era IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. Many open-source developers (especially from the OpenBSD camp) use this hardware so it is well tested.

BUT, you could actually pick up a powerful Windows laptop *AND* a cheap x61 Thinkpad (~£75) for Linux for about the same cost as a MacBook Pro if you really know you are not interested in supporting Apple products. Which is fair enough and quite common, many developers choose to use DirectX after all.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

If you have the money, I would recommend a MacBook Pro. Not because they are particularly fantastic but because they can run Mac OS X. This means you can then test your code on pretty much every desktop platform without dealing with dodgy hacks to get it to run on a non-Apple hardware. Generally iPhone development via Xcode and compiling can only really be done on Mac OS X too. And unless you are dealing with Unity (which stupidly doesn't output iOS x86 binaries for the official simulator), the iPhone simulator is really handy (no faffing about with developer licenses, provisioning profiles and other types of DRM.

If you want to test your code on Linux or *BSD (even if you don't intend to support these platforms, it is still great for checking code quality / testing). I highly recommend a 2009 era IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. Many open-source developers (especially from the OpenBSD camp) use this hardware so it is well tested.

BUT, you could actually pick up a powerful Windows laptop *AND* a cheap x61 Thinkpad (~£75) for Linux for about the same cost as a MacBook Pro if you really know you are not interested in supporting Apple products. Which is fair enough and quite common, many developers choose to use DirectX after all.

I'd have gone the MBP route without a seconds thought... I already have a MacBook Air after all for my Mac needs and portability, so if I could get a powerful Mac capable of replacing both machines, win/win.

Thing is though, the available GPUs suck donkey nuts.

Until Apple fixes that, no sale for me.

Just wanted to post what popped up in my sub box today.

I don't know how new or old it is, but I found it interesting.

Are you planning to use your desktop for development as well? If so what are the specs of your current desktop. From the last time I looked at laptops I think you are looking at $1500 to $2000 minimum for a good build. Something like this maybe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152900

I personally like desktops as well, which is why I ask about your desktop.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

I switched away from desktops over 10 years ago and have not looked back, same reason as OP. I want to be able to slob on sofa etc and play/code, also my games rig is portable so can game/code wherever I might be. If you want screen real estate just dock at a desk and connect up your monitors.

The key tradeoff is that you pay more in the long run and GFX is weaker than you can get on the desktop. Hardware costs more and upgrade means new laptop, but I would still not go back to a desktop.

As long as you get a good mobile GFX (Go NVidia as better in the laptop space imho) and 8GB+ ram and a solid CPU you should be good for most needs, no matter the brand..

The other solution might be, as others have mentioned, get a cheap laptop and RDP into your desktop to push the workload there. A low end laptop will be far lighter and you don't need the grunt as its not doing the work.

My only PCs now are a 15" HP which is my day to day games/coding rig and a Surface Pro 3.

Are you planning to use your desktop for development as well? If so what are the specs of your current desktop. From the last time I looked at laptops I think you are looking at $1500 to $2000 minimum for a good build. Something like this maybe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152900

I personally like desktops as well, which is why I ask about your desktop.

The laptop you linked triumphs my desktop.. Lets just leave it at that lol. My desktop isn't anything super special, but that's why I posted earlier maybe the money would be better spent for upgrades to my desktop. Although I like the idea that others mentioned about buying a cheaper laptop than VPN my desktop. That way I can still lay on my bed and develop :)

AMD FX 6300 6 cores 3.5GHz

8GB Memory

GeForce GTX 750Ti

My desktop^ :/

That way I can still lay on my bed and develop

30+" Monitor + wireless keyboard mouse? Just an option.

AMD FX 6300 6 cores 3.5GHz
8GB Memory
GeForce GTX 750Ti

If you upgraded your RAM to 16 or more GB of RAM you could develop comfortably even though you're on the low end of GPU's.

What kind of games do you want to develop? 2D, 3D? RTS?

If possible you can alternate your purchases, buy a laptop for now. New or upgrade desktop somewhere down the line. (Although you will most likely need to replace everything on the desktop if you want to upgrade. Maybe not the case, is it really small?) If you go with a Haswell CPU on a laptop you could probably save some money.

The laptop you linked triumphs my desktop.

Remember laptop part numbers aren't the same as there desktop counterparts. For example the 970m isn't as powerful as a 970 desktop GPU.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Remember laptop part numbers aren't the same as there desktop counterparts. For example the 970m isn't as powerful as a 970 desktop GPU.

Yes, it is a little bit more powerful than a desktop GTX960 (which is nothing to sneeze at atm), and drops considerably below that level in most laptop cases when under load because of lacking ventilation.

So expect between GTX 950 and GTX 960 (desktop) level of performance in most cases.

While I see why you want to work on the sofa (that is why I got my Wacom Companion 2 to be able to draw while watching TV with the GF in the evenings), what is so attractive with using your laptop/tablet in bed? Tried it, didn't found any way of using a laptop in bed that was near comfortable and wouldn't end in numb body parts, twisted shoulders or positions where I couldn't read the screen.

Came to the conclusion that actually, you are better off just working on your desk (or in the sofa thanks to my CC2), switching off the machine and heading to bed when getting sleepy and actually use the bed for its intended purpose (sleeping of course... smile.png )

But on the other hand, I am also unable to read for longer durations in bed without getting uncomfortable, yet most books must be read in bed worldwide, so it might just be me....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement