Two or more monitors

Started by
47 comments, last by SymLinked 8 years, 2 months ago

At work i have three monitors and i use all three. One for the sql editor and email, one for web browser and some terminal sessions, and one for some remote desktop sessions.

At home, i only have enough physical desk space for one large monitor, so i make do. It does get cramped, and it's annoying having to alt tab out of my fullscreen game to view visual studio's debug window.

If i had the desk space, i would have two monitors, it isn't a must but is definitely a massive productivity boost. Once you go to more than one monitor, it's very hard to go back.

Advertisement

I use two monitors at home and i would add an extra one if my ancient computer supported it. At work i have three.

With unity i have the editor and visual studio on the center monitor. The game view on the left and the custom tools (ex ai debuggers) on the right monitor. It helps when testing things to be able to see and use the editor and the tools when the game is running. Using a gamepad to play also free up the mouse and keyboard to interact with the editor.

@spinningcubes | Blog: Spinningcubes.com | Gamedev notes: GameDev Pensieve | Spinningcubes on Youtube

Two monitors all the way, that way I can run something fullscreen on one (like a game), and have a debugger attached, and see debug prints and whatnot.

I recently downloaded UE4 and noticed how cramped the editor was, anyone with experience could you tell me if the UE4 editor is multi-monitor "enabled"?

Yip, There is the option of up to 4 independent 3D windows that you can then split up to 4 squares, So you could have 16 views simultaneously :)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Used to use 2 or even 3 monitors but now I use a 27" screen there doesn't really seem to be a need. I do have a second 27" screen but I don't use it. Having that much screen space only a couple of feet from your face feels a little bit too much.

I become a sad sad camper whenever I have to hit the road with my 13" UHD laptop. I have to use my bifocals just to see what's on the screen (and chicklets keyboards suck once you're used to Cherry MX Blues, not to mention that trackpads are the devil's own handicraft).

At home (my office) I have dual 22 inch monitors (some day, I will upgrade to bigger ones, but I just upgraded to a new NUC so there goes my budget) and use a 2x2 workspace grid, ie. 4 virtual desktops each with two displays.

One desktop has IRC and email (I work remotely with several teams, this is the main communications console). Between all that it fills both monitors.

One desktop with a fullscreen browser on each display, often used with a hangout on one side and a collaborative doc on the other.

One desktop with multiple shell and vim windows open, no tabs just one window per source file or task, because that's how I roll. This is the development environment.

One desktop for miscellaneous stuff, like say a Dwarf Fortress session (plus tools) or maybe a second development environment depending on what I'm multitasking at today.

The advantage of multiple monitors over one big one is that they're at an angle to each other, as if I have one long curved monitor. That puts them more into a single focal plane. Also, they're not too high, so I can see out the window behind them still. One long curved monitor is also out of my price range.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I generally use two 27" 2560x1440 screens. One is all Visual Studio (split), and the other will have misc stuff - browsers, docs, Photoshop/Premiere/3DSMax, source control, command lines, etc. Sometimes I have a third smaller screen for slacking off related activities - like talking to you guys.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

After reading posts, I am pretty convinced to get a 27" in addition to current 23.6" and using current one vertical for ebook and coding.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

After reading posts, I am pretty convinced to get a 27" in addition to current 23.6" and using current one vertical for ebook and coding.

The good news is those 27" IPS panels work great in portrait. After using one, I can't go back to a portrait TN panel...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.

Yip, There is the option of up to 4 independent 3D windows that you can then split up to 4 squares, So you could have 16 views simultaneously

Thank you for the specific info kind sir.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement