need suggestion for IDE/Engine

Started by
6 comments, last by Ekto 8 years, 2 months ago

Hello out there,

im basically a coder for industrial purpose but a enthusiastic RPG Player but in my opinion the skillsystems out there are... well... not my taste.

So i decided to develope my own but what keeps me from doing it, is that i have no idea which IDE or egine gives me the framework to do all the grafic stuff movement etc and i dont have to spent money for it.

So long story short, what would you reccomend as a basic tool to implement and test skillsystems if you dont want to care about anything else?

Thank you people for answer before hands!

Advertisement
I suggest unity for c# and ue4 or cry engine for c++ based developer or designers!
Forum for talking all things about animation and games
Http://rahmatsharifi.com/forum

Turn based RPG's or Action RPG's or ...? What I suggest depends on exactly what type of RPG you're interested in. Oh and 2d or 3d? and give some example games to help people get an idea of what you want built in.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Unity seems to be best in your case. You don't care to do anything other than make your game, which makes it perfect for you. I'm not sure why you're trying to get an IDE or 'egine' that gives you a framework to handle lower level stuff. You could just directly use a framework for that, such as Monogame.

Not sure how good of a coder you are, but your knowledge seems a bit off. I understand if you don't natively speak English, as that would make it harder to communicate what you know.

What will you make?

Unity and MonoGame are recommended for C#.

Unity has a massive amount of support data (huge reference library, concept tutorial videos, etc) and community. It's a full IDE, so it may be a little overwhelming at first, but intro videos can very quickly get you situated with the workflow.

MonoGame is pretty easy to work with and also has a decent community. MonoGame is an API rather than an IDE, so it doesn't involve learning a new environment.

You should probably take a look at the introductory materials for both and see which one is closer to meeting your needs.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well, i thank you all for your suggestions, i think i give Unity a try.

if you want to build your own serious battle and skill-system, then you have to write a new engine from ground. you cant rely on any existing rpg solutions, they having usually very very primitive and simplistic systems, or in some cases, they have none. i suggest you to start building a game engine in c, the graphics and phisics engine can be very simple, it not has to be very modern, and once you have things happening properly on your screen (this will take maybe a month), you can start to code your complex game engine around this.

Well thank you all so far.

I tried Unity3d and i have to say, if you are common with C# this is the engine to start with!

Good tutorials and a lot of them!

I don't care a lot about models atm because im more interested in game mechanics.

Well if you have the rigth behaviour you can put any look over it.

I am very happy with Unity so far :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement