Want to create a game but can't code, tips appreciated!

Started by
16 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 8 years, 3 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm 17 years old and want to create a game. I already have a lot of ideas of what I'm going to put in. But there is a problem, I can't code, and want to make this game myself.

Is this possible? Can I find the code i need on the internet? What if I hired a coder, do I need to keep in contact with him/her when the game is done?, or can he/she just give me the right code for what I need? I really would not like to have to learn a code language because it's going to take a lot of time to learn and it's pretty hard.

I want to create this game in Unreal Engine.

Any help/tips are appreciated!

Advertisement
So you want to make a game yourself by having someone else do the work and then they give you the game? That's not how making a game works.
You could learn to code, but you don't seem interested in that. If you're wealthy, you could hire people to work for you. But if you're not wealthy and you're not doing the code, what part of the game would you make? People aren't going to work for you or even partner up with you just because you have a neat idea.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Coding stuff belongs either in "beginner" (if you want to do it yourself), or in "business" (if you want to hire someone).

Since you posted in "game design", that's what I will talk about :)

The first thing you need to do in any case, is to make more precise what you have in mind. Other people (like a programmer you would hire) are terrible in mind reading, so you'll have to explain to him/her what you want, in a lot more detail than you expect now, is my guess.

"lot of ideas" is the first step, but how do these work together (or are they opposite)? What world are you creating? what is the goal, how can the player get there, what are the challenges? If you have levels, how many do you have, how big are they, what can the player achieve there, how do you progress to the next level?

From the screen point of view, what does the player see, are there powerups, hazards, and so on? How does the game character look, how does the background look, how do the items look?

As you can see a whole lot of details that you need to flesh out into a consistent design. While you make a design you need to play-test it before you implement it. Make a paper mock up, play the mechanics at a table with pen and paper, check that the things you put in the game work in the intended way.

You can do much of this without knowing programming. On the other hand, it helps if you at least did it a bit, so you understand a programmer better. Similarly, it helps if you can make sprites, so you understand a bit what a graphics artist needs.

Have fun exploring this big world :)

...it's going to take a lot of time to learn and it's pretty hard.

Well, yes. People invest time and money in *themselves* so that they can fulfill their ambitions.

What do you want to do for a job?
What do you want to do for a hobby?

If neither of those things involves hard work, then you're not going to fulfill ambitious goals. That's just how life works.

Your best hope is to find the fun in a challenge, and let that feeling drive you.

I can't code, and want to make this game myself.

This isn't a Game Design question. Moving to FB.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You could try Game Maker - a visual drag-and-drop based program. I started off with that but got bored and then moved on to C#/Java, but it is good for beginners imo.

Game engines are perfect for people who don't want to learn a language. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be a lot of work but no nearly as much as learning a language would be.

Look towards Game Maker Studio and RPG Maker (Any of em).

So you want to make a game yourself by having someone else do the work and then they give you the game? That's not how making a game works.
You could learn to code, but you don't seem interested in that. If you're wealthy, you could hire people to work for you. But if you're not wealthy and you're not doing the code, what part of the game would you make? People aren't going to work for you or even partner up with you just because you have a neat idea.

Like I said, I would like to make everything, from the world/map to items the players can interact with, but I can't code. For example: I want a door to open when a player presses E. I know how and when things need to happen, but I will need code in order for it to work.

Coding stuff belongs either in "beginner" (if you want to do it yourself), or in "business" (if you want to hire someone).

Since you posted in "game design", that's what I will talk about smile.png

The first thing you need to do in any case, is to make more precise what you have in mind. Other people (like a programmer you would hire) are terrible in mind reading, so you'll have to explain to him/her what you want, in a lot more detail than you expect now, is my guess.

"lot of ideas" is the first step, but how do these work together (or are they opposite)? What world are you creating? what is the goal, how can the player get there, what are the challenges? If you have levels, how many do you have, how big are they, what can the player achieve there, how do you progress to the next level?

From the screen point of view, what does the player see, are there powerups, hazards, and so on? How does the game character look, how does the background look, how do the items look?

As you can see a whole lot of details that you need to flesh out into a consistent design. While you make a design you need to play-test it before you implement it. Make a paper mock up, play the mechanics at a table with pen and paper, check that the things you put in the game work in the intended way.

You can do much of this without knowing programming. On the other hand, it helps if you at least did it a bit, so you understand a programmer better. Similarly, it helps if you can make sprites, so you understand a bit what a graphics artist needs.

Have fun exploring this big world smile.png

Thanks for the tips!

You can make a full game in Unreal Engine with all the needed logic and interactions using Blueprints. Blueprints is a great way to program for people who don't want to code. Go ahead and watch a few videos and see if it seems doable to you.

You can make a full game in Unreal Engine with all the needed logic and interactions using Blueprints. Blueprints is a great way to program for people who don't want to code. Go ahead and watch a few videos and see if it seems doable to you.

Thanks! I already watched a few videos a few days ago. I'll see what I can do in Unreal Engine :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement