My NEW RPG battle system

Started by
38 comments, last by black_mage_s 22 years, 1 month ago
Alright, here is the condensed version from what i originally wrote down: The menu now has a max of 6 options | |- ATTACK |- MAGIC |- JUMP |- SUMMON |- SPECIAL |- RUN The main purpose of this was to eliminate thing like FF7''s Super menu syndrome. I''ll post more later, im dead tried
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Advertisement
I havent gotten to play FF7 yet (unfortunately). What exactly would this battle menu do or eliminate?
I understand how most of the items can have no submenus, but why magic? There are generally three types; healing, damaging, and statistic altering. Each of those should be represented in my mind. Are you palnning something different?
ahh... well as for there being no sub menus, i am going to divide spells into columns
ATTACK CURATIVE STATUS

all spells will just fall into these columns, which will be seperated by making you press the arrow keys to switch between pages
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Making you press the arrow keys? I really hope this is a console game, because designing a computer game without mouse support is a good way to alienate a lot of your potential customer base.

Just a little friendly advice : )
there is going to be mouse support, but there will always be a keyboard equivelent for people like me who preferred the good old fashion console game staus of just one control median
the battles now sort of revolve around this thing called Position, which, as much as you may want it to be, has nothing to do with where you are currently standing.

Position determines how much power is allocated to magic or attack depending on where it is on the position meter. if it is all the way to the left, you get 25% more power in you magic spells and such, and if it is all the way to the right, you get 25% more power to your physical attack.

your position changes depending on what you do most. if you use a physical attack, the position meter will go 10% to the right, and if you do this ten times, it will reachall the way over. The same applies to magic, execpt to the left instead.

when the meter is all the way on one side, you will get a special attack that is either an all out physical bashing, to an incredibly powerful magic attack. After you use one of these specials, your position will reset and not move for 5 turns, or untill the battle is over.
i decided to completely eliminate the Active Time Battle System, in favor of the new position system, mainly because the ATBS has been done to death, and the position system already adds a bit of strategy. so far the demo battles i''ve made work perfectly, so it should go off without a hitch
Is this turn-based? IMO turn-based is worse than ATB.

For those of you reading this, who do not know what ATB is:
ATB or Active Time Battle is the generic term used for pseudo-turn-based combat systems, wherein each combatant has a certain "speed of preparation" timer, after which, he/she/it may perform some action. After an action is performed, the timer is reset and that character must again wait until he/she/it is prepared to do something again.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
That''s not new, that''s an evolution of an already existing battle system.

I still don''t understand why so many people just are imitating instead of innovating...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement