Note to self

Started by
15 comments, last by dsm1891 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't erase your whole filesystem. Especially not when the back-up drive is mounted.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Advertisement
Well, yes, you're only supposed to delete System32.
Pff.

You're supposed to crawl the LAN for open file shares and delete everything on there, too.

Noob.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

If you deleted the filesystem without bricking the machine then you're just a newbie: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

Fortunately we had good QA at a previous job, but once I was using SHDeleteFile and apparently instead of deleting a specific directory, I was deleting EVERY directory!

DELETE ALL THE DIRECTORIES!!!!

QA noticed it during install once Windows started throwing up errors. Apparently not all critical files are locked at all times, but when it needs them and they aren't there then it's not a good thing. XD

Apparently not all critical files are locked at all times, but when it needs them and they aren't there then it's not a good thing.

Reminds me of a fun bug on a game uninstaller.

It went something like this:

Get into the game. In the middle of play, pause the game, alt-tab out of the game. Run the uninstall program. On the prompts hit "yes", "yes", "Ignore warning", "Remove Anyway". Hit "Ignore" on the warnings that appear. Alt-tab back into the game. Resume from pause. When you leave the scene or do anything triggering a disk load, the game crashes.

We decided to KS the bug. (KS = Known Shippable, we aren't going to fix it.)

Pff.

You're supposed to crawl the LAN for open file shares and delete everything on there, too.

Noob.

The only reason that didn't happen is because I don't have a LAN here. The rogue script started scaling up directories until it became basically rm -rf /* (ouch)

I'm never again going to automate cleanup, I swear -_-;
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

I'm never again going to automate cleanup, I swear ;

Nah, it's OK if you just have a manifest of file names, no wildcards or recursive deletes...

Fortunately we had good QA at a previous job, but once I was using SHDeleteFile and apparently instead of deleting a specific directory, I was deleting EVERY directory!

DELETE ALL THE DIRECTORIES!!!!

QA noticed it during install once Windows started throwing up errors. Apparently not all critical files are locked at all times, but when it needs them and they aren't there then it's not a good thing. XD

Good thing QA "noticed" it laugh.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

X: Disable the TRIM command on Windows, at least SSD files will be recoverable at the expense of grade performance and writing speedcool.png

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement