BSP-only levels

Started by
15 comments, last by johnrudy 22 years, 5 months ago
Thanks, Chris, that''s what I thought. So, then, back all the way up to the first question: When creating a BSP-only level, is there a step-by-step to getting the Q3Convert-ed PBS into Landscape Studio and actually using the darned thing? It seems that no matter what I try in this regard, all I get is a black screen in LStudio.
Advertisement
Check the skybox. I had the same thing when I didn''t have a skybox. I have a model of a stone bridge that I can email to you if you want so you can test it out.
I know I''ve got a skybox ... At least, there is a skybox shader in the q3 map in question. Unfortunately, I only have the bsp -- no source map for it. (Truth is, I''d be a lot happier getting a source map to play with .... I''m absolutely no good at mapping, and the architect/designer working on the project won''t have anything until after the holidays.)

I was just going over the documentation again for LStudio ... There''s this passage:

---

Converting BSP files

Copy the .BSP file to the same directory as the Q3Convert utility. Unzip your textures to a \textures subdirectory. Unzip your shaders to a \scripts subdirectory. Run the Q3Convert program and type in the name of the BSP file and your desired output filename. Also, you need to pick a unique 3 letter identifier for each object. Since you can load in multiple BSP files at once, this identifier serves as a prefix for lightmap and materials in the engine. If the conversion is succesful you''ll be able to inspect the level by using the mouse and A/Z keys. Holding down the space bar while moving lets you check the collision detection. When you exit, you will have your .PBS file in the Q3Convert directory. Copy this file to the Landscape Studio \packages directory and use the package manager to load this file into your level.

You must also copy the \leveltex directory from Q3Convert to Landscape Studio so it will find the textures used by the BSP level. The converter removes all paths from the texture names, so make sure you have unique texture names without the paths. For every additional BSP file you add, simple copy the new textures into the \leveltex directory.

---

How do you copy the leveltex directory "to" Landscape Studio. Is there a directory under lstudio where this will go? Also, how do you pick the unique 3-character identifier, and does it matter on a single-BSP-only project? Or are all projects of reasonable realism multi-BSP to deal with doors and moving parts? (Or should those be done with models instead of BSPs?)

Or am I just an ignoramus who should stick to code? ;-) (All that graphics voodoo is stuff that''s way beyond me, I''m a coder! I appreciate the beauty, but cannot create it ... )
LStudio has a \leveltex directory. You need to copy the textures created by Q3Convert to that directory for LStudio to find them. It doesn''t magically find things that are scattered around your hard drive.

The same goes for package files. If you want a package (.dat, .chr, .pbs) to load it must be in the \packages subdirectory of the application you''re running.

Moving platforms and doors are done by creating additional BSP''s and placed in LStudio. They must have a unique identifier when converted with Q3Convert. The 3 letter identifier can be anything you want.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
> LStudio has a \leveltex directory. You need to copy the
> textures created by Q3Convert to that directory for LStudio to
> find them. It doesn''t magically find things that are scattered
> around your hard drive.

See, I thought that stuff would be in the PBS file itself, as it''s included in BSPs from which we make it.

It looks like lstudio has one single leveltex directory, correct? So, presumably, all projects would need to share their textures? Either this means the leveltex directory gets crowded, or will lstudio handle subdirs in leveltex?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I can''t find too much info on mapping BSP-only right now.
BSP files do not include textures. They are stored in PK3 files in Quake3.

All PBS files will share the leveltex directory. You''ll still have the original content in the organized Q3 texture directories if you have lots of different texture sets.
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Not that you need to be told this, but you''re right, I was mistaken. OK, then, if I copy these textures to the leveltex directory, they should be available in lstudio, which should make the map no longer a big black screen?

(Again, I never really paid attention to lstudio before -- I''m a code monkey. Gimme VC++ and a good debugger, I''m happy. I have level architects for this stuff ... If my timetable allowed it, I''d just hold off until their current stuff is done and let them deal with this.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement