Hi Folks,
I am working on an Earth Simulation in OpenGL/GLSL and I've gotten pretty far until now. I was trying to find a way to render Aurora Borealis at the North and the South poles of my planet and I found this blog where the author has done something similar to what I've been trying to do. Specifically, I'm trying to imitate the following image:

In his version of Aurora Borealis, he creates 2D bands (most probably using triangle strips) and animate them in real-time using perlin noise. I have been trying to achieve this, but the only way I can think of is to:
- Generate the mesh once for a band.
- Generate noise each frame for each band and update the vertices.
- Generate Normals for each band using the updated vertices.
- Send the new vertices & normals via an OpenGL call to the GPU.
- Rinse and repeat.
Now, this method seems super expensive. I was hoping if anyone can suggest a way that could make it possible to introduce the noise to the vertices inside the vertex shader itself and update the normals based on the noise that we just introduced to our vertices.
I apologize that I don't have any code to show for the bands right now, since I am still brainstorming the topic and trying to come up with a most optimal solution for the problem.
I could use some ideas and would really appreciate them.