What API should I use...

Started by
22 comments, last by SDB 22 years, 5 months ago
with Linux. I recently made the jump from M$ and have no intentions of ever going back. Up to this point I was using MSVC++ and DirectX. I am pretty sure DX isnt supported under Linux, right?!? Anyway, I am working on isometric games and really have no interest in 3D programming at this point. What would be a good API to use for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you are the only one that can fix it, why are you complaining to me?
Advertisement
Although it''s not an API per say, but an interface to other APIs ... what about SDL?
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
OpenGL (www.opengl.org) and SDL (www.libsdl.org)

What is your opinion on Linux after switching from Windows?

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on November 18, 2001 9:04:52 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Using SDL implies that you have plans to go back to Windows
at some point. Since it is a portability library.

Linux has many features in sound and graphics that
are limited in SDL, however if you want a easy transitioning
stage you can write a few learning games with SDL then
make the jump to X/OpenGL/etc...

Note that OpenGL as an API under Linux requires that you
use glX and Xlib.

OpenGL can be used with conjuction with GLUT or SDL
for *learning* purposes. But remember to take off
yer training wheels at some point.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
May I suggest to start with SDL. Yes, it is limited, but it''s easy to learn and has various libraries for 2D graphics, sound, various input devices.
I would compare it to DirectDraw + DirectSound + DirectInput, but without Direct3D.
If you are not intereseted in 3D games, SDL should suit you nicely.
When you''ll " Graduate " to 3D graphics, you''ll need OpenGL for both 2D and 3D graphics, but and here I have to disagree with LearFox, you''ll still need SDL for sounds and inputs.
SDL can work in harmony with OpenGL.
" Programming Linux Games" was a helpful book for me.
Enjoy Linux.
Thanks for the replys they were very helpfull. As for how I like Linux compared to Windows, it is a difficult question to answer. So far Linux has run circles around Windows in everything but gaming and I hope to help close that gap. I am with Linux to stay, XP was the last straw for me. And I will order that book tonight. Again thanks for the insight.

I put up a group to talk about things like this, stop by if you like. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/games4linux

If you are the only one that can fix it, why are you complaining to me?
quote:
Using SDL implies that you have plans to go back to Windows
at some point. Since it is a portability library.

Well, using SDL implies that you have plans to reach a broader audience. Really, I wouldn''t suggest using a Linux-only library for anyone (unless you really want to optimize the hell out of your games), simply because the Linux audience is smaller than the Windows audience. So why not reach both?

Apart from that, you can compile SDL games on more platforms than Linux and Windows.

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Hey Still no posting from Null and Void!, hope he''s alright

Use SDL, thats what www.Lokigames.com uses to port games from Windows to Linux, you might want to check their development section, they have written a couple of programs/apis to help develop games, like OpenAL (Open Audio Library) a setup program, and some other things.

There are other APIs, like Clanlib, and of course OpenGL, you might want to check em up, and if you want to make your life more confusing you might want to try directly xlib or ggi, but I really recomend SDL.
Using OpenGL with SDL is definately looking good right now. You can use a trustworthy OS like Linux to develop your game, and then port it to MacOS, Windows, etc. I have been thinking about switching to Linux lately but I have not really had the time to think about it enough.

Good luck.
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Hey still no posting from Null and Void!, hope he''s alright

I have been reading this thread, but Martee and Drizzt said everything I would have .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement